Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 4.1 to 6.1 MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbbikes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2004
US
I have a customer that wants to migrate to t7316E sets and a few KIM's. With the current 4.1 the 7316's map a m7310's.

I will need to upgrade the software. Is there any issues going straight to 6.1 or do I need to migrate to 5.0 then to 6.1?

Seems confusing after I did a search here for upgrading. I need not go to 7.0

TIA,

KB

4.1 to 6.1 should be no problems. Just make sure that you have the last RLS of 6.1.

Do I need the upgrade tool to do this? I am getting comflicting information.

I also have 4.5 not 4.1. So is this a matter of shut down the Mics and install the new software release and boot it back up? Will any of the program change? I don't have a copy of the Norstar Utilities program to do a back up and the restore if all goes to hell.

KB

Never heard of 4.5 but stranger things have slipped past me. All I know is with 4.1 there should not be any loss of programming. Also make sure that your Cartridge is RLS 2 before you upgrade. Maybe someone else here could shed some light.

Going from 4.1 to 6.1 should not default the system. No upgrade tool is needed to preserve programming. R2 cartridge is not absolutely required unless you have a PRI installed. I never heard of 4.5 software either.

Brian Cox

If the upgrade tool isn't required, then what's the purpose of it? Is it just Nortel's way of getting extra cash out of it's customers?

Not at all. The upgrade tool must be used when upgrading from anything R3.0 or lower, to R4.0 through R6.1, if you want to preserve programming. Once you're at R4.0 you can go to R6.1 without an upgrade tool. To go to R7 you need to make a pit stop at R6.1 first.

Brian Cox

Thanks a million gentlemen. I am Nortel BCM certified NCSS and my company thinks that means I know everything about a Norstar. Silly sales guys.

For the most part same program set but the upgrades and what version this and that are grey area to me.

It's a 4.1. When I had the customer read me the version I think they were reading the wrong thing.

Again thank you to all who helped.

KB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back