Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade 8x24 non DS to a DS cabinet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

usulnet

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2012
Hello all,
Our company has this older Norstar system in place. We lost the hard drive on the voicemail system a few times and finally upgraded to a DR5 module so we could move to a Startalk flash. Our operator is going nuts with hangups now and from what I understand its because the KSU doesn't actually support DS to effectively communicate with the module. Would it be simply a matter of purchasing a DS cabinet and swapping it in place of the non-DS unit? Any potential pitfalls I could expect from the upgrade? Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Regards,
Stephan

Wow, you ain't kidding about old. Surprised that thing still holds the programming after a power outage. Have to say that is what made the nortels awesome they just run. Any way why don't you just swap out the old 8x24 for a MICS. You can still use the same phones you would just have to program it up again. You could keep the same extension and so on. I would recommend 3 dight extensions at least though. you could find a MICS for cheap I bet.

Actually I seem to recall changing the battery a few years back. I'm mostly look for as cheap as possible. I see some 8x24 DS on eBay from 150-350, mostly wondering if those are sufficient. We are going fully VoiP over Lync Q1 of next year, mostly trying to keep our operator from losing her mind. I'll look into the MICS but not looking forward to reprogramming again. Thanks.

just thinking you may actually be able to get away with a CICS. Most CICS can handle up to 8 phone lines, and up to 16 extensions up to 24 with the station expander card. That acutally might be a cheaper way to go in your case than the MICS. Especially if it is short term. You will still have to program it up. If you need a vendor I handle South Eastern PA, NJ, and DE. My website is Take care and good luck.

Lkev, How far are you from a town called Ben Salem? Have you heard of it? It's in PA I know that and I have something going on up there that I may need some assistance with as it's a little far for me. I'm located in Baltimore, MD and I map quested it from my office and it's 2 hrs. and 20 mins. Kinda far... Contact me if your interested.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

Thanks exsmogger, that's mostly what I was wondering if they were swappable. I have a M0x16 expansion, does that also have to be a DS module or is that just the primary KSU? Thanks for the help!

I dont think your answer in first post was ever answered.

"Would it be simply a matter of purchasing a DS cabinet and swapping it in place of the non-DS unit?"

There is DS and NON-DS software and DS and NON-DS KSU's.

Match one with the other.

DS = Disconnect Supervision
DS software/KSU allows for programming it and detection.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

No I think the DS programming is only in DS software for any system, I just cant find any DR5 non-ds 3X8 systems in lab or internet and leading me to believe they do not exist.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I'm pretty sure I've seen some non-DS 308 DR5's, but it's been a long time, so I'm not 100% sure. I'll make a note to check with a large wholesaler I do some work for in Atlanta. They might have one collecting dust in their warehouse, if it exists.

Brian Cox
Oregon Phone

Yep your right, lab just found one with black text which is good indication NT5B05CN.

I was thinking why make non-ds when DS is out forgetting that they just kept the same DR number....silly.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I've never seen a non-DS 308 DR5.

616: Software: Non DS and DS DR5
KSU: Non DS and DS
Software and hardware must match... won't boot if it doesn't.

824: Software: DS and Non-DS
KSU: Only one version

Marv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back