Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unity Unified Messaging: Message deletion and transcription questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
Hello - I'm running a Cisco Unity Server, version 11.5

Microsoft is ending its Unified Messaging and Transcription service later this year, so we have to dump all our users back to Unity. Based on that, I have 2 questions:

1) Unified Messaging: As a test, I configured my own mailbox on Unity, then configured for Unified Messaging. I receive the messages in my e-mail OK, but when I delete that e-mail, it doesn't delete it from the Unity server. I have to go back into Unity or the Web Assistant to make a separate deletion. Is there a way to configure Unity so that deleted e-mail messages are deleted off the Unity server, or is this done on the Exchange server? I poked through options on the Unity server and Web Inbox but nothing jumped out at me.

2) Voice-mail transcription service: Is there a way to get Unity to include a "speech-to-text" in the Unified Message without a SpeechView subscription?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

1. It sounds like you configured unity for smtp relay. You need to follow this guide for single inbox configuration to achieve unified messaging.

2. You need transcription services for speech to text. Speechhview is required.

Let me know if you have any specific questions these features

Good Morning,

Please confirm if a user has 'Message Relay' then I add 'Unified Messaging is that correct that they require both for the email to be generated. I have those with Unified set up like this but would just like confirmation.
We have staff that only want 'message relay' too.

The issue I find with Unified is that when users check messages in outlook the message goes to their 'saved' messages vm folder counting as their storage and some like to keep in inbox as a reminder.
If they delete the email or move the email to a subfolder OUT of inbox then at that time it goes to their deleted vm folder which would then follow the aging policy set out to delete it.
Users with just 'message relay' have a constant red light with 'new messages'unless they delete or save via their phone.

This leads to a big issues we are currently having. The 'aging policy' to delete deleted within 3 days or whatever we set it to is not working. Users must delete their deleted manually from their phone or from their inbox. Our maintenance support team along with Cisco support told me that the only resolution is doing an upgrade. I have also seen posts where others have been told the same thing. Reaching out for any suggestions on how the aging policy can be fixed. We are contracted to move the phone system to the Cloud in the late fall so hoping someone can suggest a 'fix' until then.

Any thoughts?
Sharon

slp123 - Saw your other post...

Not sure what version you are running, but we are running version 11.5. In my experience, you are correct - deleting the message in Outlook does not delete the e-mail from Unity. If your users have LDAP synchronization in Unity, they need to manage their voice-mails from the built-in Unity self-care portal: If they delete messages from the self-care portal, that will turn off the red light on the phone.

Our Aging policy is working, so I'm not sure what's happening with your Unity server. I can suggest a couple of things:

a) Set mailbox quotas under Mailbox Storage > Message Quotas. This will cap individual mailboxes and keep the hard drive on Unity from filling up. Make sure the "Enabled" box is checked, too.

b) Double check your aging policy under Mailbox Storage > Message Aging:
> Aging Policies - Ensure that your corporate policy enabled under "True"​
> Check that the options under your corporate policy are checked and saved​
> Enable Message Expiration for the whole system in less than 30 days​

c) Check that the end-user mailboxes are enabled for your system policy. Look under a user's mailbox, under Edit > Mailbox. Ensure that "Use System Settings" is selected.

d) Reboot your Unity server to refresh

e) Check with Cisco for the "latest and greatest" ES (Engineering Special) or Service Pack for your version of Unity. Install and reboot. You can get directions from Cisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back