Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstallation causes restart hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

stax

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hi All,

I'm getting BSOD - BAD_POOL_HEADER when i restart my computer (win XP pro, SP3). I've read a few posts but can't find a lead.

I had just uninstalled software that prompted me to restart. Has it put a command in the boot that I can remove?

If anyone can make a suggestions that would be great!
Shaun

Cont... Also i forgot to mention that I cant start in safe mode either

From the Safe Mode options screen does it boot if you select "Last Known Good Configuration"?

Have you tried running the command ChkDsk / r from the Recovery Console?

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

That is a layman's version of KB307545 in simple language.

RAM memory test.

Thanks Liney,

last known config worked but then it hung on system32/config/system which i repaired from recovery console and it now starts

But it looks like that has knocked out my service packs and they are hanging when i reinstall even from safe mode with networking

Are there any other methods to get the service packs back on? maybe from recovery console?

My computer isnt happy right now
Shaun

Without knowing what you have exactly done it sounds like you may have to repair Windows and then reinstall the latest Service Pack after the repair. Alternatively you could Slipstream the latest Service Pack into your current XP CD and run the repair from that.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

There are several links for Slipstreaming provided here.

[quote}0x00000019: BAD_POOL_HEADER

A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers.[/quote]

run diags on your memory and HDD's...

also worth a try, go into the BIOS and LOAD DEFAULT (F5) Settings, then QUIT&SAVE (F10]...

and if that does nothing, I would go along with Linney's suggestion as to do an Inplace Upgrade Install...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back