Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unfortunate Acronyms 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
I was just reading a news article of charitable giving in Uganda in which the writer made reference to the National Union of Displaced Persons in Uganda (NUDIPU). Here in the U.S., verbally articulating that acronym would cause people to believe you were talking about what happens in "Biffies at Naturist Camps".

It made me reflect on how badly the school sweatshirts would have looked had the chain of tech schools gone with the first-choice name for their organization: Stevens-Henagar Institute of Technology. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

In the San Jose area, there is a company that does a lot of business supplying porta-potties, etc. to construction sites, concert venues, and other such places. This company is called Acme & Sons Sanitation.

"Acme & Sons" always struck me as odd, because Acme is not a common name. One day, I noticed the acronym, and realized that it may just be a clever joke. (Then again, for all I know, it could be run by Joe Acme and his boys.)

Several years ago I saw an episode of Fox's "COPS" where an officer - I don't recall where - was talking about an initiative to curb home burglaries. The initiative involved several officers and squad cars dedicated solely to responding to burglary calls, with the intention of getting police on the scene more quickly than in the past.

The name of this new initiative? The Fast Action Response Team.

I don't know if the officer was serious or just yanking Fox's chain, but I was rolling on the floor when I put together the acronym.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

I have a certification in RPG from IBM. The certificate says Certified RPG Applications Programmer.

I've often wondered how much ribbing the students got when they said they attend Frankfort University of Central Kentucky

I do know this much, KSKid, all of their officially logoed clothing goes by their full name, and not by their acronym. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Or, as I mentioned in some other thread already, a name that was luckily scrapped in favor of Northern Territory University (now Darwin University): Combined University of the Northern Territory.

Maybe that is just an Urban Legend (or Outback Legend in this case).

p5

In the UK there is the Army Radio & Signals Establishment which fortunately became the Royal Army Radio & Signals Establishment.

stackdump said:
Royal Army Radio & Signals Establishment

So would that become "a Royal Army Radio & Signals Establishment
[ROFL]
Paul

One can only wonder... Did they have a position for a Programmer - Army Intelligence Network in the (Royal) Army Radio & Signals Establishment?

HTH,

p5wizard

I once saw an add--and this ad in no way hinted at the possible acronym, but I can't imagine this company not getting it. It was simply:

Fine Underwear by Calvin Klein.

Unintentional? I think not.
--Jim

IANAL (I am not a lawyer)

Even some of the less offensive are disturbing me, like ACK for acknowledge (what are you saying? "ACK"?, like a caveman saying "Ugh"?), FULLACK doesn't make it better.
And although IMHO sounds intelligent, it just means: "I don't really know, it's just >>In My Humble Oppinion<<".

In fact many of the acronyms are not helpful anymore, only hiding what someone really means. A bit of a status symbol, like "see how long I'm here in the usenet, knowing all these acronyms by heart.", or how they would say it BTDT.

Bye, Olaf.

/Thread Hijack

Not an acronym, but an abbreviation (but I thought I would throw it in anyway).

Years ago when I went to University, on arrivals at the Halls of Residence, there was a list of people, their rooms and what they were studying.

Some of these were too long to fit into the available space and so had been abbreviated.

Consequently, one woman arrived to find that her 3 year degree in Analytical Chemistry had been posted as 'Anal Chemistry'.

Really not something I would wish to spend 3 years studying!!

Addy said:
Analytical Chemistry had been posted as 'Anal Chemistry'.
Reminds me of my grandchild seeing my title, "Analyst" following my name, and she asked me:
Grandkid said:
Grandpa, What's an "Anal-ist"
My family has not let me live down that one yet.

[santa]Mufasa

I mentioned this one before, but it's worth repeating:

The US Navy abbreviation for Commander-in-Chief, US Fleet was CINCUS (hastily abandoned shortly after Pearl Harbor).

There is an association of Mississippi River pilots called the New Orleans Branch River Association, or NOBRA.

A competing organization is the Crescent River Port Pilots (CRPP). Too bad they weren't the Crescent River Association of Pilots.

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

Actually reading Santa's post, reminded me that I once worked in a lab where we used electrical measuring equipment like oscilloscopes. The 'scope leads were called probes and there were digital and analog flavours. In a cupboard one day I found a box marked "Anal Probes".

If you think about it, "Anal Probes" and "Digital Probes" can be related activities.

Ba-dump-bump!

I'd rather not think about it if it's all the same to you Sam! After all, there might be aliens involved.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Ken said:
After all, there might be aliens involved.
OMG, I just realized...Alien Digital Anal Probes To Investigate Various Elements of Scientific Experimentation Relating to Various Extraterrestrial Research...I knew Sybase was simply a front for Ne'er-do-wells from Beyond !

[santa]Mufasa

Only Fools and Horses had Trotters Independant Traders.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back