Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected Join Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimoo

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
US
parent table (p) has 569,275 records and child table (c) has 633,283

Code:
select count(*) from parent  -- 569,275
select count(*) from child  -- 633,283

All parents have at least 1 child

Code:
select p.*  FROM [parent] p where p.pID  in (select cid from child)  -- 569,275 matches parent count

Why does inner join return more rows than the total rows on the child. I expect the same as on the child (633,283) but instead it returned 172 rows more (633,455).

Any explanation why?

Code:
select p.*, c.*   FROM [parent] p
inner join child c on p.pid = c.cid  -- 633,455

Other counts. Note, there is one child record not in the parent (orphan) but I don't think that would explain the additional 172 rows.

Code:
-- in child but not parrent
select cg.*  FROM chargep cg where cg.CGCASEID not in (select cmcaseid from [CASEMASP])  -- 1

-- in parent but not in child
select p.*  FROM [parent] p where p.pID not in (select cid from child)  -- 0

-- in parent and at least one matching child.  This matches parent count
select p.*  FROM [parent] p where p.pID  in (select cid from child)  -- 569,275

Thoughts?

Jim

Just a guess here...

parent.pid looks like a Primary Key on parent table, but child.[highlight #FCE94F]c[/highlight]id looks to me like a Primary Key on child table, and NOT a Foreign Key to parent table.

I would suspect the Foreign Key to parent table would be called something like child.[highlight #FCE94F]p[/highlight]id

I am probably wrong... [ponder]

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Andrzejek,

Unfortunate. That isn't it. This a legacy database imported from AS/400. There are no primary keys or foreign keys per se. The data is linked by fields containing business data. I masked the table an fields since it is company data but the data is linked by a caseid (case number) and in the parent table it is called CMCASEID and in the child it is called CGCASEID. Both contain the person's caseid. Not independent primary/foreign key as desired.

Obviously, breaking normalization rules. 1) no primary key, 2) data in more than one bucket.

As for the solution - still not sure why it is happening, but I may try a left join instead of inner join to see if that helps.

Jim

That was just a shot in the dark...

“breaking normalization rules” – don’t ley me start about this issue! Story of my 20+ professional life as a programmer, drives me crazy.

Like you said, you may try left join and see. If that gives you what you need, you may try:
[tt]
Select … inner join …
MINUS
Select … left join …
[/tt]
Just to get those 172 offending records just to see what is the problem.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back