Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uncommanded download at startup... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riv

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
AU
OK, firstly I have all known automatic updates, downloads, etc either disabled or turned off. I have conducted major anti spyware/anti virus using a number of quality programs which indicate all clear.

The concern I have is that just about every time I start up my bandwidth meter indicites I am receiving an uncommanded download which can be between 500kb and 9.5 mb. The packet filter program is pointing towards a company called Savvis with an IP address range of 208.172.91.61...

Further checking indicated the download may have been an uncommanded update version download of MSM's messenger? program but I have uninstalled and removed all traces of the original MSM program but still am receiving a download from this address???

I anyone able to confirm (or what?) this company is and how I may go about stopping this uncommanded downloadng.

River

As for confirming I know nothing about that company but if there using the same ip everytime, just put the ip in the firewall in the list of ips to block.

Savvis Communications looks like it is an Internet Service Provider of sorts, don't know if it is the same Savvis that you are having issues with though:

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I'd be worried & look into this further. There is an un-named server at that address listening for both ftp & http connections. Savvis is the ISP backbone that is being used, but I seriously doubt that they are running the server at that address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back