Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to ping ip address of my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PClennett

Programmer
Feb 5, 2003
AU
I'm trying to connect 1 laptop running NT4 to the other laptop running W2k using a crossover cable.

My NT4 laptop appears to be working fine.

In W2K I've been able to ping my loopback address and ping my host name, but unable to ping the ip address I set in a connection in the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" properties:
IP Address - 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0.

The connection also uses "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing in Microsoft Networks" and "NetBEUI Protocol".

The network card and driver are working fine, I still unstalled it and downloaded the latest driver for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PClennett

Is the Internet Protocol bound to the adapter? There must be a check mark in the box beside Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Are the indicator lights on both NICs on?

Hi Accessdabbler,

1. The following components have all been checked for my W2K connection:
"Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing in Microsoft Networks", "NetBEUI Protocol" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)".

2. There are no lights to flash for the port on the laptop running W2k, on which I have the problem. The laptop running NT4 has lights but there not on.

Q: Shouldn't I be able to ping my own host name even though I'm not connected to a network?

-PClennett-

Hi Provogeek.

I get the following results from running the command IPCONFIG:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected

PPP adapter Telstra Big Pond Home:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 144.138.206.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 144.138.206.4

I realize I have a second issue concerning the connection not acknowledging my cable in the port, could this be effecting my inability to ping my own host name?

-PClennett-

Hi all.

After some extra giggling of the cable in the port on the W2K machine, I found an angle that enabled the connection and thus allowed me to ping its LAN connections ip address, the NT4 laptop and visa-versa.

I'm going to try disabling the Media Senser to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks.

-PClennett-

Hello
Problem is first of all you must have the ip address on both laptop of same series,but that is also ok. Another thing is remove gateway from any of your laptop if u have given manually. Third thing is if both the above thing is proper n stili if doesnt work than check your crosscable is working or not.

Hello
Problem is first of all you must have the ip address on both laptop of same series,but that is also ok. Another thing is remove gateway from any of your laptop if u have given manually and give the same subnet mask in both laptops. Third thing is if both the above thing is proper n stili if doesnt work than check your crosscable is working or not.

it's just only that you have to check all first if all the configuration are being done on both computers.also try to check if cable is good.And are you using a hub or a switch in connecting both computers.Either of the two,check all the appropriate lights.There should be a light lit up on the exact port from where each computers are connected.Hope this will help.Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back