Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to allocate from the system paged pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2001
US
Hello, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as far as troubleshooting a reaccuring problem I'm running into. I'm getting the following error about every Wednesday. It basically requires me to reboot the server in order to get everyone up and running properly. I do as part of my backup strategy have Arcserver rebooting the server after it's backup every Friday. Here's the error.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Srv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2020
Date: 3/5/2003
Time: 8:25:15 AM
User: N/A
Computer: UWCR-DC
Description:
The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the pool was empty.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 e4 07 00 c0 ....ä..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 9a 00 00 c0 ....š..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 28 01 00 00 (...

I've tried doing what Microsoft recommends in the knowledgebase article Q312362, however it hasn't fixed the problem.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Bill Swanson

Hello Bill,

What kind of operating system arcserver is on? What version of arcserv you currently have? Do you have the VLDB version?
It's seems to me that is a page fault not a arcserv issue. It can be a memory leak or a network printer configuration.
Do you have arcserver reboot your server every friday or winnt/win2000 script?

Let me know I might be able to help out

Theo

Theo-

We have Arcserve 2000. I really don't think it's involved. I was just stating that the server is rebooted weekly and I still encounter this problem weekly. I too think it's a memory leak issue, I'm just lost as far as where to go from here.

I definately notice a delay on the server closing anything for example AD Users & Computer, and this is a warning sign that the error is coming. Users also have delays opening there shared network drives.

Hope this helps...Thank you

It's actually a Win2k script...sorry missed that question

I was wondering what I should check as far as network printer configuration? I'm checking alot of logs and I'm wondering if that may afterall be the problem.

Hi Bill,
We had this problem a couple of months ago on our main file server and ended up calling microsoft. Check out Microsoft article 317249 (previously q317249) and follow the instructions on setting the maxworkitems, maxrawworkitems, maxfreeconnections, and minfreeconnections registry keys.

This helped, but we finally tracked down the problem to a scheduled virus scan running at the same time our backups would kick off.

Bill,

It can be lot’s of thinks before we find out what the problem is. I think you should first take a look the event log file and see if there is any RED signs (alerts) and if you have any memory sticks around just replace them.
I first thought you had a version of arcserve that was not supporting partitions more then a 1GB but that is not the case.

Keep me in touch

-Theo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back