Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to add a PC to a Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spangy

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
I am unable to add a PC to a Win2k domain, but all the other PC's on the network are fine and have the same settings.

The PC is registered as a computer on the domain server, and the account used to login is okay.

It just says domain doesn't exist or is not contactable.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Hi Spangy

Start with the basics.
- Have you tested the network card (NIC) on a different mashine?
- Perhaps the network cable is not working?
- Is the NIC properly installed?
- Make sure you get the IP-address from the server
- Make sure there is no spelling errors in the domain name.

If any of this doesnt help you, tell me what platform you are running the PC on (win2k, win98, win95, etc)

Kindly regards
Claus

Try pinging the domain i.e
ping (domain name)
or
ping (ip address)

Can you establish a communication?

Try putting in a static IP and assign the IP of your domain controller as the primary DNS and WINS server.

try to put the suffix of your DNS to be the domain name
example : domain.local

Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm using a wireless pc card, and have no problems accessing the internet etc.. so I know its working okay. Its also able to see other PC's that are attached to the network.

The IP address is assigned via DHCP and all the information there is correct when I do an ipconfig.

It also does have a DNS suffix in there as well.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks all.

If you enter a DOS-promt (start - run - cmd) and type: ipconfg /all -perhaps that will tell you something? Just a hint.

-Claus

Hi Claus

I did do an ipconfig, and all the information from that is correct. I have an ip address within the specified range, the subnet mask and DNS info is all correct.

thanks

When you add it, do like netwalker said and user "domain.local", then for the id you are using to add it, user the format "userid@domain.local"

I have entered that information into the primary DNS suffix.

I have input the domain information. The it asks for a username and password, when I input the details of a valid accout it says its unable to join the domain.

this used to work fine with the exact settings I'm trying to input now. But its not working now.

help!! thanks

First if I can remember correctly you need to be set as administrator privelages(control panel and users and passwords) then what you have to do is right click my computer and go to properties, go to the network identification tab, then select properties, add your pc to a work group, call it spangy, then you need to reboot. After you log back on do the same as you did to add it to the work group but put it to your domain, it will most likely ask for a user id and password to add it to the domain, you might be able to do this with your logon, if not then you need to know the account that can.

I also should add that you might have to change the name of the pc when you do this

spangy,
Did something change on this workstation recently? More specifically, did you connect it to another domain or network before you had these problems?

Perhaps the problem is that it has not been given the "clearance" to rejoin the domain if it left. This can be set at the server level using the workstation's network ID/name.

You can also try releasing and renewing the IP address, though I doubt that's the problem...

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

cdogg

Yes you're correct, it used to part of the domain that I'm now trying to add it back to.

I removed if because I was testing something else. And now I can't add it back to the original domain it belonged to.

However I never removed it from the server level, just from the PC.

What can I do now, becuase all its settings are still on the server.

thanks..

spangy

Spangy,
Remove the workstation from the server and then add it back on with exactly the same details.
This has happened to me before and it worked when i removed it, then added it back on.

FAM

check you're wiring back to the hub(switch). Maybe the port on the hub went bad, or a wire got pinched.

No, not if he is getting an IP address from the server. If you absolutely cannot get it, and I have used this before, run sysprep on it and join the domain diring the mini setup.

spangy,
Once a PC has been removed from a domain, the SID (Security ID) is erased from the PC. The server may think the workstation still has access, but identifies it based on this SID.

Every time you re-join a domain, a new SID gets created. So, you will need to follow FAM's advice and remove the entry on the domain server and set it to allow a new membership. That way, a new SID can be generated on the server side as well as the workstation.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Windows 2k Professional hates putting machines on the domain when you are logged on as a domain administrator (using cashed information) log on as local administrator and then try again.

I have had this problem when imaging PCs, the new image says that the PC is on the domain but when you try to explore the domain the PC cant see it. In this case I have taken the PC off the domain, put it on a workgroup, reboot, logon as local administrator and then rejoin it to the domain.

If you are using Win2k Professional on a Windows NT domain then you need to ensure that the WINS settings are correct, as this will also stop it joining the domain.

The RUN, CMD,

ipconfig /release

and then

ipconfig /renew

fixes a lot of domain issues.

Also check that your computer is seeing the right network card.

Have you checked the cable and then right back to the hub/switch box? Can you connect another PC to this network point and it works, maybe its not plugged in your server room?

If you are working on an Windows 2000 platform for your domain. Windows 2000 is very particular with its SIDs (the user name is linked to a long SID number which was okay to muck about with on WinNT platform but on Windows 2000 it basically wont be messed about with, it does not like change). I am sure one of the other members can explain this better, we are only just going over to Win2K domain but I remember this bit from the course I attended.

Hi all

As FAM had suggested I removed the computer from the server list and then added it back.

But still no joy... the same error appears when I try to add it.

Please anymore suggestions apart from chucking this thing out the window.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back