Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to add a PC to a Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spangy

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
I am unable to add a PC to a Win2k domain, but all the other PC's on the network are fine and have the same settings.

The PC is registered as a computer on the domain server, and the account used to login is okay.

It just says domain doesn't exist or is not contactable.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Have you tried renaming the workstation and adding it fresh?

Hi Fam

Yes I tried adding a totally new computer to, I renamed it on the PC and added this new computer to the server too. But still no luck.

I'm not sure if the settings are saved somewhere else or if theres something I'm just not doing.

There was one thing when I tried to add the computer back to the server though, I couldn't fill in the DNS information which all the other computers have. Not sure if this makes a difference.

thanks for any more suggestions etc..

spangy

try

ipconfig /registerdns

or release the ip address and reboot the pc.

I would take the machine out of the domain and remove it from the server beforehand though.

There are other things to do but see if that works first.

I have no clue if this will help you anything at all, but i just remembered i had a problem getting a computer on a long time ago and that had something to do with my Firewall had run out of licens for clients.

Also wanna say that there have been LOTS of great suggestions in this thread wich im gonna paste into a "something-to-try-document" if I ever get a similar problem.

okay I tried the registerdns command, released the ip configuration.

removed the computer from the server/domain computers, did all that, restarted. Added back the computer with a different name etc..

still no luck.

this is really frustrating. Is there anywhere that these settings are saved or something that I can refresh or reset etc.

thanks everyone for you suggestions, you've all been so great.

One option you could use is if you are imaging with Ghost.

You can boot up to ghost and then change the SID on the PC.

Its the only thing I can think of after all the other suggestions.

try to add the PC to other domain ,, then readded it again ,,

I mean ,,,

REMOVE the PC from the domain -> add it to another Domain --> remove it again --> readd it

Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Try changing the name of the PC, I had exactly the same problem, once renamed it joined the domain fine.

Richard

Also check the Computer Account in the Active Directory Directory Users and Computers Account. It sounds like the Computer account is locked. If it is (It will have a red X next to the name), reset the account and try the above suggestions of chnaging the PC name and re-adding back into the domain.

Let me know what happens.

Mike

Hi all

I've tried before renaming the computer, deleting the computer account from the active directory and adding it back with the new name. But to no avail.

I still have the problem unsolved.

But thanks so much for your suggestions, if you have any more I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Spangy,

I've seen this error before. When Windows says the domain doesn't exist, what it's really saying is that it is unable to locate a DNS server that is advertising on the network by means of a SRV record. It cannot locate a valid Zone in the domain name you have supplied.

First, flush the workstation's local DNS resolver cache (ipconfig /flushdns)

One cause (but not the only one) is incorrect entry of domain info in the Computer Name tab. If you right-click on My Computer and select Properties the, on the Computer Name tab click Change to change the Computer Name and Domain. You will see the 2 fields that ask for the machine name and domain and a button marked MORE. Click the More button and type the name of your domain (eg xyz.com). Put a check in the "Change primary DNS suffix ...." box and click OK. On the Computer Name and Domain tab enter the machine name in the first field. In the Domain field try entering the NETBIOS name of the domain eg xyz (without the .com)

If this doesn't work try using the domain.com name eg. xyz.com

Provided that you have configured TCP/IP correctly on the workstation with the DNS server address (try adding the domain name in the "Append DNS suffic" field on the DNS tab) there's a good chance this will work.

Hope this helps.

SL

Got to the server and delete the computer the run the network Identification wizard from the properties in my computer and add the computer that way this may take a few seconds but this should work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back