Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCx call recording questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmfiftyfan

Programmer
Mar 9, 2006
US
Hello gentlemen, old Nortel guy here, new to UCx.

One of our sales guys is planning to propose a UCx system to a prospective customer. This customer is a collection agency with about 30 phones. They have 12 employees who stay on the phone all day long Monday through Friday. It's typical for each of these 12 agents to stay on the phone for 10 hours a day. Their present call recording system records every single call around the clock 24/7.
Question: does the UCx system have the capacity to record this much traffic? And can the UCx be set to record every single call inbound and outbound around the clock?

Thanks in advance, Lanny

bcmfiftyfan, Yes, the UCx can record calls with all the several options you listed. UCx has built in Professional Call Recording at no additional charge. The trick will be how much storage space you have on the UCx system itself.
The UCx 20 has 600 hours recording time, UCx 50 has 2,400 hours, UCx 450 has 7,000 hours, UCx 1000 has 32,000 hours.

The calls are searchable using Filters in the Call Recordings section of the UCx GUI. In addition, the recorded calls can be copied to an external server if the Enhanced Archive application is purchased.This application will COPY\BACKUP ALL recordings to the external server, and then the user can delete them OFF the UCx to free up storage space on the UCx system. The Copy\Backup will do incremental copy\backup processes depending on how you have the UCx programmed to do it.
The recorded calls on the Enhanced Archive server can be accessed with same type of GUI that the UCx has, so there's no training to do the process differently.

I hope this helps and have a blessed day!

Thanks for the prompt reply UCXNortel. We're planning to propose the UCx 50 so it looks like we're in good shape. We'll definitely be proposing the Enhanced Archive application also to give the customer plenty of breathing room. I've heard a lot of positive input about the UCx and look forward to getting to know it.

bcmfiftyfan, Great! We have a large customer who uses Enhanced Archive and they like it! By implementing UCx, they were able to decommission three different external services they were using. One for Call Accounting, Call Recording, and an external server for BCM Reporting for Contact Center. They are very pleases with the UCx and also purchased the SRG solution for Disaster Recovery.

Glad to be of help and have a blessed day!

If my calculation is correct, it would be better to go with the UCx450. With 12 agents who generate 10 hours of recording per day and 18 non-agents who would generate let's say 2 hours of recordings, you would need storage for ( 12 * 10 ) + ( 18 * 2 ) = 156 hours of recordings per day.

The UCx50 supports 2400 hours of recordings - that would give you just 15 days of storage capacity. The UCx450 supports up to 7000 hours - that would give you 45 days of storage capacity. Now, this is based on the official supported capacity (If you look at the size of the hard drive partition where call recordings are stored (System - Dashboard - Hard Drives - /var) on UCx50 and UCx450, the sizes are 62GB and 446GB respectively. I know the partition is used for other purposes (logs, backups, etc.), but based on the size difference a safe bet is that you should be able to store approximately 7 times more call recordings on UCx450 vs UCx50. That means 75 days instead of 15 days!

With the Enhanced Archive feature, the system automatically backs up call recordings to an FTP server of your choice. Nevertheless, the call recordings are not deleted automatically. An administrator has to make a decision when to remove recordings, select an appropriate date range and initiate the delete. Without this action, the system would run out of space on the hard drive.
If you use UCx50, the admin would need to perform this "delete old recordings" action approximately once every 10 days (in 15 days the system would be out of space). With UCx450, this "delete old recordings" action would be needed once every 2 months. In my opinion, the additional storage headway is well worth the extra $$$ the customer would need to pay for UCx450.

I am in TOTAL agreement with ucxguy on choosing a UCx 450 over the UCx 50 for this customer....

Many thanks for the information gentlemen. I'll be meeting with our salesman early next week and will pass this information on to him to include in his proposal. A robust call recording solution is central to this particular customer's daily operation.
The UCx appears to offer many benefits for our transitional Nortel shop. UCx's support of Nortel digital and voip phones with a practically identical feature code set is a big advantage for career MICS and BCM technicians like myself. We're also impressed by UCx's simplified "all in one" design.
We've had a rather bitter experience with the Avaya IP Office product over the past two or three years that makes me wish we had gone straight to UCx when we stopped offering BCM.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back