Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCM ISSUE LOGGING IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgh72

Technical User
Jan 22, 2008
US
I am on a new install Avaya IPO 500 v2 8.1.43 with a UCM. I set an ip on the UCM when i had it in my lab. I was able to log in and out of it at will. Now onsite i am unable to log into the UCM via the ip address i set or the default ip 169.254.0.2.

In Manager check the control unit tab to see the currnet IP of the UCM. Give your IPO an address in the same subnet and turn dhcp to server.

My DHCP is set to disabled in MAnager.

Hi pgh,

I've run into this issue once before where the LAN1 IP address was changed after we set the UCM management IP. We resolved the problem by reverting the LAN1 IP back to it's original value (and our manager PC to match). Then you should be able to log into the UCM and update it's IP to match the new subnet required.

If this is not your situation, and you cannot access the "webcontrol" website using your management IP or the IPO LAN1 IP then the only solution that I'm aware of is to reset the UCM and rebuild your callflows. I hope you've got a back-up handy!

Matt
ACIS-SME
ACSS-SME

Thanks mmcnabb. I will give it a shot.

Connect a monitor and keyboard and login with:

admin -> Administrator
root -> root password

Then type:

system-config-network

Then set the new IP address

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

You can try what tlpeter suggests.

We've seen multiple cases where a change of IP500 IP addresses (e.g. the address on lan1) "breaks" the UCM, and it's actually not recoverable, unless you planned for it (e.g. backed up your VM pro etc). Kind of ridiculous given that there are a number of reasons why a customer would legitimately want to change the IP address of their IP Office.

For us, the norm is to wait to prestage the IPO until we have static IP's for IPO and UCM from the customer, or we assume that we will reload the UCM software to get the UCm to be usable.

Someone in our tier3 support told me that there is a grip request in with Avaya to get this behavior changed, maybe we'll see it in our lifetimes.

GB

edit: should add that we've found that switching the lan1 IP address of the IPO does NOT restore the UCM to functionality or the ability to login, the thing is hooped.

Changing the UCM address in Linux sometimes works, but only occasionally.... usually the UCM wont come up properly and will show as boot failed in SSA etc.

GB

The 169.x.x.x ip range is reserved for special purposes and should not be used for a LAN.
The UC module gets a 169.x.x.x ip address from the IP Office for internal routing.
If you have not gave it a ip address yet the UC will have the same address as the ipo lan1, login on port 7070 and change the ip address.
After the address has changed then in manager in the "Control Unit" settings you can see the UC module with the external ip address.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

GB, believe me that i have done this probably a hunderd times and never it failed for me.
what version did you have this?

BAZINGA!

8.0.814 and 8.0.93, both.

WRT changing the lan1 address, we have 100% failure rate on being able to browse to the old UCM IP address. e.g. if you prestage the IPO and set the UCM to be 192.168.42.40, once you change lan1 to 10.1.xxx.xxx, you can get to the 192.168.42.40 address anymore, and changing lan1 back to 192.168.42.1 doesn't restore that ability to browse... in fact the UCM will bootfail consistently. if you watch on a monitor, you'll see a bunch of stuff fly by about inconsitencies, and then it asks you to start doing FSCK's. IIRC correctly, a couple of times following the onscreen prompts has restored the UCM, but you're still back at 192.168.42.1.

I've seen the same bootfails occasinally even trying to change the ip in linux.

When you say you've changed this 100's of times, are you talking about changing lan1 and being able to get to the UCM at the old address, change it in webcontrol, and have it actually work, or are you talking about manually changing it via linux?

GB

You should never change the IPO before you change the UCM as you cannot reach it but yes i have even put it in a different IPO and than changed the lan IP address of the IPO to be able to reach the UCM again.
I also did this a lot from the terminal screen.
It never failed on me.
Did you try this on one UCM or multiple?
I am not saying that you have it wrong as i can imaging this could go wrong :)
They should enable the front lan port on the UCM for recovery or direct access.

BAZINGA!

tried this on multiple UCM's... The behaviour is so consistent, we've taken to reinstalling the UCM software and reinitializing the UCM once we get the static IP's from the customer, or we wait to prestage until we get those IP's.

Maybe we're doing something wrong, but at this point I don't think there's an elegant way to change the lan1 IP address of an IPO which contains a UCM. Not without having to do some serious backups or fiddling.

If someone has found a foolproof procedure, please share, but it doesn't work for us.

GB

I think the way to do it is first change the UCM and then the ipoffice.

BAZINGA!

we.ve tried that (change UCM IP first via webcontrol, and then change lan1), and had the UCM bootfail (cannot be browsed to)... in fact that was the first way we tried it, as it was the most logical.

Changing the IP via Linux is the most reliable, but we've found it not be 100% reliable.

GB

I have never had this issue and i have done this many times.
Although i did not do this on the latest release.

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back