Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

squiggy

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
US
I have a 14 gig Harddrive that has two patitions,i installed WinMe on C:,But I Cannot Install Win98 on D:(My Second partition) Setup Keeps stating that it already has an Operating system and that i must uninstall it before i can install the other one!!!!!

Anybody have any ideas!!!

The best way is always to install the newest system last.
Is what you did ? I hope it helps you.
--
X-) Split.

or consider using partitioning software and a boot manager. No problem with installition order. I installed in order 3.1,95 upgrade dual boot,98, and ME. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Win ME and Windows 98 are in the same Win9x family. By default you cannot install 2 versions of Win9x. The Win9x line always installs on the FIRST active Primary partition. The files needed are exactly the same for each OS. So when it boots it will boot to the default install of Windows. Without a program to manage the OSes it will not work. Now you can get a program like Norton system commander OR Partition Magic to allow you to install two versions of win9x. Does this make sense? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back