Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two key presses required for each tone output 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeMonkey

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2007
US
I've got a wierd problem with my digital phones. When I call a number that has a menu (press one for sales, two for service) I have to press the key twice because the first time a tone is not sent. But the second time it is. Its the same for any key. I have only made one change and that was concerning the caller ID sending the area code on local calls. Is there a setting on the switch or individual phones which would control this?

They would be Nortel 2008 and 2116. Nortel Meridian I

Didn't actually do much testing. Two folks told me they had trouble on their digital phones and I had experienced it once on another digital phone but I assumed I didn't press they key hard enough. The issue is real. It does not happen however on my analog office phone.

Analog phones have a built in Tone generator.

Your going to have to do some testing as it should work the first time you press the key.

LD 80
TRAC xxxx

xxxx is a 2008 or a 2616 DN make the call and then hit a digit once and do the TRAC, what digits does it show?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Call out and backin to a set near you and when you answer it put it on speaker so you can hear it and then hit the keys on the first phone and see if you get the tones.

I appreciate your responses but lets assume I don't hear a tone from the first key press but do hear it from the second key press. What is controlling this feature? Tomorrow I will check as many digital phones as I can to determine whether it is systemic or individual. As a matter of fact the three phones I know of that are not working have been reprogrammed recently. If it is happening on all the digital phones what should I check. If its only happening on the phones recently reprogrammed then what cls setting or whatever is controlling this feature?
Thanks in advance.

we had a similar issue with the 2033 IP Conference phones in that when entering the audio meeting number and password (after the call is connected) sometimes it would connect and sometimes it wouldn't (invalid meeting ID, etc).

What we eventually had to do to get some reliability was to change to local dialpad tone on the handset - this was set to none by default. We tested both short click & DTMF and found that the short click was the most acceptable. This was only and issue when using the dialpad after the initial call is connected. After checking other handsets the local dialpad tone is set to none, and we don't have an issue with them.

Don't know if this will help but may be worth a shot..!!

did not read all the responses but that is usually a timming issue... the 1st press looks like the eod so the second press works... on ip it could be other issues as well. trunk timers, bars and ees all take part in that equation..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I have had some sets which would not give tone unless live keypad was on in the set programming. I know that is not what live dial pad is for, but that is what started giving tone.

Mato' Was'aka

I appreciate all the responses so far but no one is being specific as to the ld (program)I would use and the procedure to check possible reasons for this problem. Could it also be our dial tone provider clipping our key presses some how? I am not a programmer or phone tech but I can follow directions if you are specific. I will be trying the previous advice on testing and tracing the phones and get back to you. Thanks in advance.

I've started some testing. I used a phone that I know has not been reprogrammed since we installed the system years ago. The first time I used it the tone went out on the first try. The next time I used the same phone, the same key had to be pressed twice. Once the key works the first time each additional key press also works the first time. So its not the set programming. I did the TRAC and the key presses appear at the end of the DIAL DN. On the ones that work it says:
DIAL DN 950592001
On the ones that require two key presses for a 1 tone it says:
DIAL DN 9505920011
What do you think?

Try the test again, but this time hit the # after dialing the number and see if you can now hit the key once.

Unfortunately I am the PBX tech. We only call professionals (like you) when I fail to diagnose the problem.

Let me ask you this... What piece of hardware actually is responsible for generating the touch tones in a digital set?

By the way I tested a set to set connection and it always took two key presses to work. A call to a number with a an automated menu or a DID call has about a 50% chance of working. Something else I noticed was sometimes a high pitched squeek was emitted instead of a click in place of the tone. I believe we may have a hardware failure. So I'm asking again in case you didn't catch it the first time. What is the name of the card inside this Meridian system that generates the touch tones and which Diagnostic will test it?

Thanks

We have you do some tests so we can help you figure out what is wrong, as there can be many reasons why something doesn't work. We can make guess's all day long and never hit it and that is why we ask question and if you don't try the thing's we suggest, then where all wasting our time.

When you say you made a set to set call, do you mean EXT to EXT or Dialing out and back in again to another phone.

Did you do like I asked and hit the # key after dialing the number and see if the tones go though every time you hit a key?

Here are some questions I have in order to present some options for you:

- What Nortel hardware do you have (small system with SSC card or large system, and what software version are you running). If you have an SSC processor, do you have any TDS cards? Could have a bad tone generator that you hit or miss; much more likely if you are having problems when dialing in-house (phone on the same system)

- Any IP trunking? I experienced issues with tromboning duplicating DTMF digits.

- Do you have TMDI cards using DTI or PRI trunking to your phone provider? There was an issue with certain vintages of these generating bad DTMF digits. This is more likely the case if you try the first suggestion and have no issues to another in-house phone.

One more item...

- If the problem only occurs with outside calls do you have DTI trunks to your provider? Check all your routes and make sure they are 3VCE. One of the other TIE trunk types using the first digit to differentiate between a DATA and VOICE call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back