Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TV Advertisement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
A restaurant advertisting one of its current specials, closes with the following line:

"Never-ending pop-corn shrimp, but it won't last forever. So hurry on down to ... "

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

that's for buying 2 tickets as opposed to 1
if you buy one ticket as opposed to zero, your chance of winning increases infinitely

I mispoke. I said the odds instead of chances of winning.

Mike

What's the difference between odds and probability?

Several years ago one of the big lotteries in the Northeastern U.S. had gotten up to several hundred million dollars. The lines of people waiting to buy tickets, and the traffic jams they were causing trying to get to stores, made national news. During this time, Dave Letterman made a comment to the affect of,

"Now, I'm no mathematician, but from what I understand, your chances of winning are just slightly less if you don't bother buying a ticket."

John

Every generalization is false, including this one.

that is true too - but it doessn't stop me! Where there's a chance in 14 million, there's hope.

Katy44,
Thanks for taking up my cause.

I'm looking it as a chance being the an attempt, while odds are the probability of success.

Mike

So, that means if you ordered a car from an unscrupulous dealer with "Factory air conditioning", that's just what you got

That is much like the "Hedgehog flavoured crisps" you used to be able to buy in the UK about 14 years ago. AFAICR, they were a spicy flavoured crisp made by a company called "Hedgehog". Pretty horrible they were, too!

Dan

On the same line, there was a TV record offer for an album of hits from the original artists. What they didn't say was that this was a re-recording by a bar band called, you guessed it, "The Original Artists".

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

Or the recent TV ad for some elliptical treadmill-type of exercise machine that says:

"Works your thighs and arms with maximum stress in one effortless motion".
--Jim

effortless exercise! how does that do anything?

Leslie

Did it have a place to hold your beer?
An ashtray would be good.

pc.gif

Jomama

The "Factory air-conditioning" reminded me of "Genuine Diamonds". You had to really read the fine print, because they weren't diamonds... they were Genuine Diamonds™ - nothing more than cubic zirconia.

boyd.gif

Back in the old days, (50's) we had to deal with "6 transistor radios" Unfortunatly the transistors werent connected to anything.
Or the 3 jewel watches, the "jewels" were there, but not used for bearing surfaces. No , just sitting there.

pc.gif

Jomama

How about the fact that manufacturers are allowed to put "no fat" on any product that has less than half a gram per serving? If the whole serving is less than half a gram, it can be 100% fat and still be labelled, "no fat." As is the case with cooking sprays. Ingredients: oil. No Fat. Hehe.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

...or how about when consumers see buzzwords like "Fat-Free", and jump on it as if it's their key to losing weight--without thinking that 'Fat free' may be moot for some products:

Fat-Free Cane Sugar! (Sugar never had fat to begin with)
Fat-Free Maple Syrup! (never any fat there, either)
etc. etc.
I wonder how many people thought they could guzzle syrup and eat sugar on their way to better health!
--Jim

In California there are solar-powered emergency telephones every few miles along the free way. Next to each one is a sign "Call Box." My brother and I have enjoyed, well, calling "box!"

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

How about "90% fat free" on biscuits, how do I know which biscuit has all the fat?

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back