Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to use cat for internet and phones 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlian

Technical User
Jul 3, 2007
US
Please help I had cat5 installed in my new office but they did not put in the ports at the main interface to run each desks 2 line phones and internet, and to make it evern better we have vonage for our phones. so at this point I need to connect the cat5 for line 1 and line 2. If I use the white/blue for line 1, white/orange for line 2 will the remaining 4 wires white/green, white/brown enough to run the internet? Please help I need phones and internet by the 9th of July and everyone I have talked to have givin me blank looks or said to call so and so but I can not get a straight answer.

Thank you,
Scarlian

your best bet will be to see if you can get a cabling contractor in to set it up for you

not a terribly difficult job but not exactly a DIY project

if you only have one cable per location it would be best to get a second drop per location

If wired correctly, the white/orange & white/green will be your network TX & RX lines. The white/blue and white/brown would be unused unless you were running power over ethernet (POE), or possibly gigabit. I sense this is not an issue?

If al you have is one drop to work with, you can break it out at the jack with these pairs.

I don't necessarily think it is a great idea, but it works.

Yes they only put one cat5 line at each location except for were the main juntion box is. at this point it would be to hard to add additonal lines as the insulation, sheetrock are done and everything is else is in place except for the phones. This is new to me and the electrician who did all the wiring was not a cable person so he ran it but did not install all the jacks so now I am trying to finish this job. I am not real knowledgeable in this area so I appriciate your help. I read the directions on the cat5 jack box but my understanding is still a little scetchy. All your help is much appriciated.

I will second what Skip said concerning having a cabling contractor wire a 2nd drop to each location that requires one.

Take the last statement first. This is new to me and the electrician is not a cable person. The blind leading the blind if you asked me.

Let's hope this is a low budget SOHO job, because using Vonage and running a single cable to each location, when you had the walls completely open is certainly not a good way to install voice and data cabling. The industry standard called for a minimum of TWO data cables per jack, btw, and you are now left to wish you had done just that.

Because Sparky installed your low voltage wiring, it's unlikely you could use the wires as pull wires to bring in a second cable, since he probably stapled the cables in place, but that's a surprise for you to find out later.

I'm guessing that this is 6 jacks or less. If it were my mess to clean up, I'd probably look to get a 12 or 24 port patch panel for the head end, and a handful of Cat-5e and 6-pin keystone jacks with faceplates at the station end.
I use Leviton, but any other jacks would work. Did I mention that you could probably hire a professional and pay a half day's wages to have this done for you?

At the station end, strip about 5 inches of the jacket and wire the orange and green pairs onto the jack, close up to the jacket, leaving the blue and brown pairs long. Then wire the blue pair on the 6 pin jack in the blue slots (43) and the brown pair in the orange pair slots (25). Keep enough slack in those pairs to fit the keystone in the faceplate and you now have two jacks at each location.

At the head end, I'd take every cable and treat it as an even odd pair. Strip the same 5 inches of jacket and wire the orange and green pairs close to the odd jack. Then take the blue pair and wire it to the blue pair of the even jack, and the brown pair to the 3rd pair of the even jack (green set-if you used 568B markings on the patch panel.) With that, every even jack becomes an RJ-14 jack and every odd pair becomes at least a 10 and maybe 100 base T jack.

LkEErie

I'd put in a Shoretel or IP office with IP sets. It will cost $$$ but It will utilize 1 wire to the desktop really well. 2 line phones are so limited. I thought Vonage died??

I have an Aastra Venture IP starter kit that's worth about $1000 for 3 phones, a 4 line gateway, and an 8-port (4POE) router and the phones have VM and a second ethernet port. Somehow, I don't think the OP was looking to spend that much for a phone system.

LkEErie

Bottom line scarlian, to do this like it should be, add a second cable and be done with it. You can save a "little" and split your cables but you have now made a mess into a bigger mess. It will (I promise) come back to bite you and one time or another. It would be very easy to add and do this right. Then you will have something right to come back to later.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I have to agree with mikeydidit on this one. While it is possible to do what you want, it will only make this into a huge mess later. It is also really easy for you to wire the wrong pins on the network jacks, especially if you don't know ethernet cabling. Do that, and you'll probably end up needing to pull two lines to each station instead of just one.

If Sparky set up your low voltage the way I would expect a good (commercial) electrician to, though, he would have run the cat5 through a channel or pipe down to the box. If he did, pulling a second line down will be easy. If he didn't, it sounds like you need to not hire that contractor to do any wiring next time. Call up a networking contractor and have them come out and actually fix the problem, even if it puts you a little over budget. If you don't, it is going to be much more expensive to get it done later, and you will need to get it done at some point.

Adding a second cable would be best....breaking-out pairs to different jacks the worst. This is middle of the road, leave the jacks in place and utilize this external adapter for 2 pair voice and 2 pair ethernet. You will need 2 per location (1) on the end user location and (1) on the patch panel side/provided your TC side is terminated, then 8 position patch cord to data and 6 position patch cord to voice

Siemons #YT4-E2-U2

You never really state if this is a home office or just a new office(room)that was added to an existing location.

The cost of the cable was cheap in comparrison to what you now have to look forward to paying to get it done correctly.

If it is a home office,your in a real bind and I would have the electricain come out and fix the mess ( unless you told him you only needed one cable per location ).

If it is just a new room added,in a business locatiion, then the electrician should have followed local codes (he did get a permit did he not?)and you will not have such a hard time getting additional cabling placed.

PLEASE contact local C-7 contractor and get a good estimate via a site survey as to what it will take to correct the cabling to meet your present and maybe future needs.

Good Luck

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

the whole problem to start with was in having a electrician do it , get a voice data guy (not the 19 year old CG down the street)and get a solid backbone to do business on

I agree with skip555. I got a call from a builder that I lost a few new homes to the electrical contractor. They could not figure out why the tone came through all jacks in the bedroom section and again in the living area.

It truns out it was all looped and the customer was pissed. The termination were wrapped togeher, black tape and the best......Ty Rapped over the tape on each wire.

The customer asked if I would rewire the house right at he builders expense. I said yes, the builder said no. The builder had the balls to ask me to train the electrical contractor to do it right. I said yes and contractor said no.

The lose in this....the customer. Don't hire a electrician to do voice/data/video work. Go to an expert or your coax cables just might end up wired nutted together. But thats another job.

At least (most) of the sparkies in my area are smart enough (at least on my jobs) to just label and pull the cables, and then have someone come in behind them and terminate and test.

I used to have a problem with this until I put together technical cabling specifications for our campus. It came out to be about 8 pages. I show them those papers before they bid now and I usually come out with good projects.

You start throwing words like Wiremap, Attenuation and printed test results at them and they will run for a cabling contractor.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

recent job , sparky insists cabling is part of his bid and so he does it customer says ok

I say "its all home run right"

he rolls his eyes "off course "

go to move in he used One THREE pair cat 5 (didn't even know they made that )daisy chained [ponder]

Thank you everyone for all you help and advice. I have solved the problem with the cat5 I changed everything to wireless and saved myself the headache of trying to get the wires dropped in through the walls everything is now working the way that it should be. Again thank you to everyone who gave advice. It was a good learning experiance. Thankful I will not need to move my office again but if I ever open another office I know now wat needs to be done. You all were so helpful.

Hi
I am not sure that if this is a correct place to ask my question or not.

I have a broadband internet connection which connects to my modem and from modem a wire goes to a router.

Now I always get problem with my network and I don't know which device is giving me the error.

Is there any hardware available to log the network activity of the modem?

I have a software which monitors the network activity but it can only log whether the network is available or not.It can not say the fault is from modem or router. [pc3]

Please suggest if any such hardware is available.

Tava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back