Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trunks not disconnecting after going to voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrael2000

Technical User
Jun 10, 2008
CA
Hi all.

I have a real brain scratcher here.
Avaya IP Office 500 v2 with embedded voicemail (R11_0_4_3)

A customer has an issue where when a call comes in, and it is picked up by a user the trunk the call releases fine.
But if it goes to voicemail, the call is held up. Never releases that I can see.

I've tried changing trunk supervision, disconnect timers, busy tone... if Avaya suggested it, I tried it.

Has anyone encountered this before, and if so, you have a fix?

Regards

I am assuming the lines are (analog) POTS lines.

Option 1 I have found would be migrating the lines to SIP. (This will save you from many support calls and banging you head against hard surfaces)

Option 2 - call the carrier and have them ensure the lines have CPC disconnect on the lines. There is a great article written by Mike the Sandman who talks about the issue you are experiencing in depth.
You can purchase the device they have for sale. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

100% guaranteed if you move them to SIP the calls will disconnect.

AJ-

Haven’t done this on analogue lines for a while but I usually set the disconnect clear timer about 160ms less than the provider

Eg if Telco is set for 500ms
Then set the IPO to 340ms

Do this for each line.

I would call the carrier. I know cable company lines are bad about that. So are just about any translated analog lines.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

I had a situation where after the caller hung up about 2 minutes of busy tone was recorded by the mailbox until the call finally disconnected. I solved it by enabling Busy Tone Detection then checking the box next to Unsupervised Trunk Disconnect Handling (System - Telephony - Telephony) and now the call disconnects 6 seconds after the caller hangs up.
This is analog trunks provided by a fibre to POTS box.

hi All.

A belated Merry Christmas and soon to be Happy Gnu Year!

Have you ever wanted to shake people because ... ARGH.

Anyway, after getting access to the system (through a tech who was driving me crazy... not a far drive, but still), I see what the REAL issue is.

IT ISN'T THE TRUNKS!

The trunks are dropping just fine, however the voicemail channels are staying locked up and when they use up all of the voicemail ports, no access to the auto attendant it was going to, and all the customer calling in would hear is "Ring, Ring, Ring"

Anyone encounter the RIGHT problem (voicemail channels not dropping), and be able to give me any ideas?

Regards

Its the same issue you already described the trunk is not dropping the call so voicemail stays engaged. The fix is the same (setting disconnect clear atleast 150ms lower then provider) as well. You may need to talk to the provider multiple times to even talk to a tech who knows what you are asking about but that is the fix is the provider needs to provide reliable disconnect/disconnect clear.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Did you put a butt set on it to hear the click when they hang up? If you didn't then it hasn't been properly tested. I have seen this issue hundreds of time over the last five years. Depending the butt set you can also see the light blink. If you don't have a butt set use a volt meter.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Hi all.

An update. I finally got in touch with the telco supplying the lines to the ip office (not off of our DMS) and they said (and I know this is strange, or at least to me it is) their disconnect timer is 30 seconds.

They are having a tech check their settings and I HOPE it is 3 seconds, because the highest / Lowest I can go for that is approximately 2590 ms.

Stay tuned..

30 seconds(30,000 ms)is completely unreasonable. Even 1000 ms is stretching it .

This is why we always suggest moving to SIP from POTS.

AJ-

azrael2000
I know the stuff is legal in Ontario but I didn't know the telco guys are smoking it during work hours :p

30 seconds, that would mean that you can't make another call for 30 seconds once a caller hangs up, nahhh that guy was full of it.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

Westi.

As to what they are smoking, uh, no comment.
In their defence, the other DMS-10's (yes 10's) were set for 2050 ms. Maybe the stuff was good when they were installing that system (grin), but they say they have corrected it.

So one I get the customer IT to get in touch with me for testing, I'll know more.

Regards

Hi All.

Just a little update.
After adjusting the dms to a more ... sane ... setting, the voicemail boxes, NOT THE LINES, are still staying up after a call to an analog line.

Not seeing anything blatently obvious as to why, I've gotten Avaya involved.
When I hear something back, and when the problem is resolved, I'll post Avaya's solution to the issue on the forum, to help anyone else who runs into this insanity. That way, everyone will have knowledge and be able to deal with the issue when / if it shows up for them.

Stay tuned.

Regards

1 Mars bar says the telco is NOT sendig a disconect clear despite their claims otherwise

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Avaya Remote Support Engineer (A.R.S.E)

Hi All.

Ok, as promised, when I had a solution, I would share it. And I am.. or think I do... because everything seems to work now... in the try and let me know what is going on bad, if anything phase...

1) First thing was the disconnect timer had to be reduced to a SANE time 2000ms for 30 SECONDS by the telco. I kid you not.
2) Then if you go to System -> Telephony, you will find a checkbox with "Unsupervised Trunk Disconnect". Select that, and you will have to reboot.

As a note, IF UNSUPERVISED TRUNK DISCONNECT is selected, the Disconnect Clear timer is unaccessible.

Hope this helps someone else. (Or me if I forget what I did to fix this....)

Regards

@azrael2000
Once you enable Unsupervised Trunk Disconnect in your point #2 then the Disconnect Timer in your point #1 has no affect anymore as it has been disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back