Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble playing CDs and copying to the HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ando57

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
GB
I have a customer with a 'HP Pavilion 404.uk' (XP Home)

when listening to a cd from the 'combo drive (cd/dvd)' after about 45 mins the music starts to crackle terribly (track 13 or 14)

tried to copy the cd to the HDD and play the music from there to see if the same thing happened. started copying fine and then slowed down to nothing about track 13ish

got the customer to a: play, b: copy a couple of different cds and the same problem occurrs around the 45min/track 13 mark

customer is using windows media player to listen to the music

could this problem relate to the cd/dvd drive being unable to access certain areas of all cd's?

any ideas appreciated, thanks in advance

Your theory sounds reasonable - have you contacted HP?

not as yet. I have one of my guys calling the customer to see if it is a problem that appears progressively (must play for a while before the prob appears) or if they can go directly to that area of the cd and make the problem occur.

the customer is not that computer literate so I want someone to help her reproduce the problem

thanks for the post.

Make sure you know if this is an original Music CD that was purchased or a Copy. You may want the person to make sure there are no scratches or anything on the CD. Also test to see if the CD will play in another device like a music CD player, if that is possible. The main thing is to make sure you know whether the CD is bad or not before diagnosing hardware problems. This could just be a bad CD.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

as stated we have tried various cds, they are all originals and all work in a normal sterio

when playing from media copied to the HDD it plays up at the same point of the recording

when I try to go directly to the later tracks on any audio cd it will not read them

cheers for the post anyhow

it sounds like the read head is having some problems. i would replace the combo drive.

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back