Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble connecting remote user thru spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Mesa

Vendor
Sep 18, 2021
US
have a customer that has a remote employee connecting to a ip office essential rel 11.0. After the phone boots up just says connecting. The phone and setting works fine from my office, so its not the settings. Spectrum seems to be the problem. I have called them to open the ports 1719 1720, tcp 1300 and RTP 46750 - 50750. They say they did that but it still just says connecting. Anyone had experience with Spectrum.

I had similar issues years ago with, at that time, was Time Warner Cable. After much back and forth it turns out that they had settings for enabling ALG itself. Even though they had opened ports under the application layer, they had not enabled a master setting to allow any ALG support.

Not sure what the question to ask them is, just make sure their equipment is actually configured to allow ALG protocols.

Charles

Just imaging a question mark after each of these: H323, SIP, STUN, TURN, WebRTC, softphone, desk phone, firewall, router, VPN, model of phone, certificates, TLS, TCP, etc, etc, etc ...

If you want help you have to tell us a lot more than "it doesn't work".

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

The phone works from my office to the business, also from other locations around town. So it is not a question of phone settings on the system but only at the users home. I'll have him ask Spectrum about the ALG settings

Bravo, you've gone from "it doesn't work" to "it sometimes works". Now try actually giving us some information on the kit and settings being used, because whilst its nice that you think we're wizards who can magic solutions from nothing, we're actually engineers who need to be given some clues.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

I have had a bunch of issues over the years with Time warner and Spectrum. Both with cloud phones and IPO remote phones. Honestly i dont think they ever fixed them. I remember one time i put in a fortigate between the Phone and Spectrum and it fixed it. All the firewall did was NAT no VPN or anything. Im not sure if it will help but if you have a firewall try sticking it in there.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

NOw they say they have opened the ports and we are getting to where is ask for the extension number and login. so now its talking to the phone system but thats as far as it goes

After 2 hour on the phone with spectrum, the "lead" tech tells me that the routers do not have a way to turn on ALG support and that they are shipped with it disabled. He suggested that I go to office depot and get a netlink router that supports ALG. Off to the depot.

That was it! Replaced Spectrum router with a TP-link. Turned on all the ALG sockets and it came right up. Spectrum is a pain! Thanks Charles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back