Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trim memo field 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPG77

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
FR
Hi,

I want to trim all the leading chr(13) or chr(10) at the end of a memo field (before printing).
Alltrim() or trim() has no effect on the chr(13).

strtran() will be a solution but ONLY on the last line.
Is there another function available ?

Jean-Paul

Hello Jean-Paul.

>> I want to trim all the leading chr(13) or chr(10) at the end of a memo field (before printing).
Alltrim() or trim() has no effect on the chr(13). <<

Code:
lcMemo = CHRTRAN( lcMemo, CHR(13)+CHR(10), '' )

Marcia G. Akins

Thanks Marcia but this will trim chr(13) at the end of the memo field AND INSIDE the memo field. I just want at the end, like TRIM(memo).
I think I have to edit all the memo line and STRTRAN only on the last line.

JPG

Hi JPG.

>> I just want at the end, like TRIM(memo). <<

Sorry. I misunderstood :~/

Try this instead:

Code:
lcMemo = ALLTRIM( MyAlias.MyMemoField )
lnLen = LEN( lcMemo ) - 2
lcMemo = LEFT( lcMemo, lnLen )

Marcia G. Akins

Marcia,
That assumes there's only a single CHR(13)+CHR(10) at the end of the memo. I've found that users will sometimes put a whole bunch of them in there, before they realize they need to hit tab to get out of the memo field.

JPG,
I have a CleanMemo.zip file that removes all leading and trailing carriage returns. You can download it from . This is pretty old code (it's from the 2.x days!). It still works, but if I were to write it today, I'd probably do things a little differently.

-BP (Barbara Peisch)

Hi Barbara
Thank for your reply.
This my code.

Function TrimMemoEnd
Parameters Pchamp && Memo field
Private Nn,Nb_line
Nb_Line=ALINES(MemoTableau, Pchamp)
M.Ctext=""
For Nn=1 To Nb_Lines
Ctext=Ctext+MemoTableau(Nn)+Iif(Nb_line=Nn,"",chr(13))
Next
Return Ctext

JPG,

That's not actually trimming anything from your memo field, you're just adding a CHR(13) to the end of the last line.

-BP (Barbara Peisch)

Hi Barbara.

>> That's not actually trimming anything from your memo field, you're just adding a CHR(13) to the end of the last line. <<

Actually, you are mistaken here. ALINES() removes the parse character ( by default it is any combination of chr( 13 ) and chr( 10 ) ) when it shoves the memo into the array.

Actually, the code is adding a carriage return to all the lines except the last one ;-)

Marcia G. Akins

Thanks Marcia,
That's true and was exactly what I needed.
JPG

OK, but when I copied the code to a PRG and used it to replace a memo field on which I'd stuck a bunch of carriage returns at the end, I still had the carriage returns at the end. That's why I said the code didn't work.

-BP (Barbara Peisch)

Hi Barbara.

>> OK, but when I copied the code to a PRG and used it to replace a memo field on which I'd stuck a bunch of carriage returns at the end, I still had the carriage returns at the end. That's why I said the code didn't work. <<

You are absolutely right and I was wrong ;~/ I never even bothered testing the code because it looked right.

The code must be amended as follows to do what it is intended to do:

Code:
lnLines = ALINES( laLines, lcMemo )
lcText = ''
For lnI = lnLines TO 1 STEP -1
  IF EMPTY( laLines[ lnI ] )
    ADEL( laLines, lnI )
    DIMENSION laLines[ ALEN( laLines ) - 1 ]
  ELSE
    EXIT
  ENDIF
NEXT
lnLines = ALEN( laLines )
FOR lnI = 1 TO lnLines
   lcText = lcText + laLines[ lnI ] + IIF( lnI = lnLines, "", chr( 13 ) )
NEXT

Marcia G. Akins

Barbara & Marcia
You are definitly right.
I was wrong but the code was OK for me (I just use the Ctext var in a report and I had not any trailing carriage return.

Sorry and thank you for your help.
I'll use YOUR code.
JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back