Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transparent image backgrounds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

we3tulips

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
I have a jpg or gif image that I want to put in Pagemaker. I need for the background of that image to be transparent. How do I achieve this. I've tried insert object from Photoshop and there it has the transparent background, but when inserted in Pagemaker again it is white.

First, never use Gif in PM. JPG's do not have the capability to be made transparent, GIFs do but are an inferior quality image. Also, JPG's should only be used for web garphics, never for print as they are a lossy format.

That said, to accomplish what you want, use EPS or TIFF. EPS will maintain transparency. TIFFs can be made transparent in Photoshop with a clipping path. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Ok, I use the TIFF, create a clipping path around the image in Photoshop...then what?

You place that image in PM using the place command. It may look funky on screen, but it will print properly if you did everything correctly. Sometimes the image wil appear with a white box around it, rotate the image .1 degree clockwise (or counter clockwise) and the transparency should show up. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

To make a transparent image in photoshop the easy way:
Select the area of the image that you wish to make transparent. Then go to the help menu and select Export Transparent Image and then follow the wizzard. Make sure to save as a tif file. Then place into pagemaker.

Actually, if you have a JPEG and go to Help>Make Transparent Image and select the Print option, this will allow you to apply a clipping path that is transparent in PageMaker. It appears to work with JPEGs, TIFFs and EPS files. I know some of you might find it hard to believe that a jpeg can contain a clipping path, just try it and see for yourself. :)

- Adobe Bob

The JPEG clipping path works only
a) created by PhS
b) applied in PM (and hopefully in PhS)
JPEG standards don´t define clippinging paths, it´s a special
"application", embedded by PhS.
Should be avoided, a nonsensical concept.

Clipping paths by TIFF or EPS are always OK.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Yes, the 'clipping path' in JPEG's is available in PS 6.0.

I'm not sure about it being available in 7, although I'm installing that today.

- Adobe Bob

I would tend to agree with zephir... I always use TIF for applications that will end up in print. Just far safer, in my opinion. I have seen JPGs cause too many problems with PM, especially if the file is going to be made into a PDF. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I also agree that it is not the best workflow to use a JPEG. Tiff's are far better for print output. It's just that I stumbled on that feature and found out it was a transparent JPEG and had no idea how it was being accomplished, but thought I'd at least share it with everyone.

- Adobe Bob

I suppose that it could be helpful if your PM doc was intended for output to your office printer, and if file size was an issue. I have so far to go to fill my 40 gig HD, and with CDs being $25 a piece... size no longer matters... (well, that is what I tell my girlfriend)... so Tiff is the preferable workflow no matter what the output... this is just my not very humble opinion... When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

The export wizard works fine for hard edges, but how about feathered transparent images???? I want to place feathered images for process printing on a solid background, but the white background among the 'feathers' still shows- on screen and on print. Any way around that?

There is really no way to feather an edge and then clip the path and have it look feathered or faded towards the edge for an image that you are going to export. Your best bet would be to create the image on top of the colored background that you are using and feather the edges that way... this will result in a larger image but you will have more control. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thanks for the suggestion - the real problem I guess is that my background isn't exactly solid - the image will be set on off-white recycled paper, with little speckles in it that would be obviously missing under the feathering... At this point I'll go with round images for this project, but I've seen it before on other brochures on recycled paper, and would love to know how they did it!

calidris..

If you are using PM7.0... you may be able to develop the entire graphic in Photoshop with transparency.. and save as a .psd file. PM7.0 can handle .psd graohics.. and that may give you the extra capabilities you want. Otherwise, InDesign 2.0 supports trasparency and gradients... When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

As a matter of interest I would like to point to Adobe's own KBase how to save transparent TIFFs.

Documents #s 310805 & 319668

All you have to do is copy (or copy merged if it is multy layer) your original document with the BG turned off. Create a new image with a transparent BG and paste you image in. Save image as TIFF. Click the keep transpareny option. PS will warn you not all SW will recognize this, just click OK. There you have it, an image with tranparency built in (that can be gradieated {if thats a word} as well), with NO clipping paths.

On a second note, to anyone that says JPEGs are not high enough quality for print work I say try this.

Take a TIFF, 30-50 MBs outta do, save a copy as a JPEG at 100% quality with BASELINE compression and NO optimization. Open these 2 files side by side and TRY to tell the difference. The only difference is the JPEGs file size will only be about 15MB instead of 30-50MB. Get everyone in your office to start saving their images in this fashion and your IT guy will kiss you for it. I mean come on, 1/3 the file size, less badwidth on the server, and faster backup times, WHEY wouldn't you do it.

My 2¢...

Good day all..

joesim, over and out...

I am fairly new to clipping paths, and have been told that you cannot place a Photoshop graphic with a clipping path** and saved as a TIF, into Pagemaker, but need to save the file as an EPS. But the impression I am getting here in this thread is that you can use TIFs, which have always been my preferred graphics format for placing in pagemaker. Have I been misled?

** for example, say you have removed a background with a path and saved it as a clipping path and want to ensure that when you place the graphic into PM, it comes in without the background.

Apart from PS files with dutones, is there any time that an EPS is the prefered format for graphics to be placed into a page layout?

(on a different note, how do you start a new thread on this forum?)

doh - ignore my last question - I found out how.

:( Oh dear, this is beginning to look difficult for me. I have just got PM 7.0, and am getting along just fine (promotional flyers, leaflets etc) but I know I'm going to have to do some web stuff and if I cannot use .jpg's and do not have a copy of photoshop, I have shot it really. I don't think my association (who I work for) are going to go for buying my photoshop too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back