Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transparent image backgrounds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

we3tulips

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
I have a jpg or gif image that I want to put in Pagemaker. I need for the background of that image to be transparent. How do I achieve this. I've tried insert object from Photoshop and there it has the transparent background, but when inserted in Pagemaker again it is white.

Eggles...

Eggles, placing a TIFF image with a clipping path is the ONLY way to maintain transparency with a raster image. EPS are transparent by nature and will import as such if they contain no raster elements. The downside of an EPS is that they must be printed on a Postscript printer. TIFF will print well on any printer as long as the original image is high quality.

Creating a clipping path on a TIFF in Photoshop is fairly easy, though tedious depending on the complexity of the image. Here is an excellent article on creating clipping paths in PS by a friend of mine:

I alos have to comment on Joesim's post. While he correct in the content, a transparent Tiff will NOT be transparent in PM. The square border will be a solid white box. That is why we are discussing clipping paths here.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

viol8ion - I have now tried saving my PSD file with clipping path as a TIF and placing in PM and it worked just fine. Thank you.

The reason I asked the question is that the other two graphic designers at my new job save EVERYTHING (from Photoshop or Illustrator) as EPS, because they use Illustrator for page layout. Believe it or not. And this includes using ILL for layout of a product catalogue of 100s of pages. I couldn't believe it when I first found out. When i asked why, I was told that (a) that's the way it had always been done and (b) they could only do duplex printing on the in-house colour laser using ILL.

I am hoping it is possible to do both imposition and duplex print from Pagemaker 7.0 (which we have at work) as it is the program I will be doing all my page layout in.

I have a graphic designer friend hat owns a copy of PM, and she still insists on doing page layout in Ill. I shake my head. But I have to hand it to her, she does product package design for 2 international companies with her method... so why argue with success.

But I would never attempt a 100 page layout in Ill... sounds to me like they are asking for trouble. PM should do duplex printing just fine.. I do it all the time in making mock-ups of catalogs and books, never had a problem other than with the printer drivers and my IS dept. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I just tried MsTools suggestion of making a transparent TIF the easy way (see above) and it was exactly what I needed to prepare my TIF for placement into a PM7 doc. Great Tip! Deserves an Atta-Girl(or Boy) award.[peace] Knock and the door shall be opened unto you. Seek and ye shall find!

Horqua,

You should click on MsTools post where is says "mark this post as a helpful/expert opnion" ... that is the best way to give an attaboy/girl When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back