Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer or sell RTU with system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookscis

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US
Hey, we've got an extra G3v4, call center, bunch of digital packs, analog backs, 3-4 DS1 packs, etc. (!) We're thinking of selling it via private buyer, or e-bay, whatever. How does the RTU transfer? Doesn't? It would be odd to me that we paid a ton of money for this system, and it suddenly isn't worth anything to resell.. I'm sure Lucent's lawyers have got their end worked out if thats the case, but it seems a little ridiculous. will they buy their old RTU back? LOL

from my past experience, the only way to transfer the RTU is to buy the company that owns the switch. We sold an extra switch we had to a company for $50K, they got hit with a $120K RTU when they tried to turn it up!

I have very good luck selling the packs on ebay. Not sure how it works putting them under maint, but I didnt have to worry about that part. I'm pretty sure if you "part it out" you will make more money than selling the switch whole.

RTMCKEE

Hmm.. That might actually be possible. Any idea on what kind of documentation they would need to say that company xyz and it's assets are owned by (or have been sold to) abc company? Assume company xyz basically doesn't exist anymore, and could be sold for $1.

I used to work in the service dept. of an Avaya dealer. I can tell you that the only value your switch has is in the equipment. Just like the software on your PC, you buy the switch hardware but you license the software. You are not allowed to transfer that licence to anyone. The new owner would need to re-license the software. In Avaya's terms, that requires upgrading the switch to the newest software release.

The previous poster mentioned that you'd get more money out of the switch by selling it as piece parts, and I would agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back