Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba Satellite defrags slow & incomplete 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethian1

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
US
Windows 98SE, Norton Systemworks including defrag. In defragging the process took about twenty hours and failed to complete more than ninety five percent of the defrag. I then used Windows defrag and it took twenty four hours to defrag about eighty percent. This never happened on my previous defrags on this computer.

Do the defrag AFTER doing a surface scan of the disk...the defraggers usually quit working when bad segments are encountered and sounds like your hard drive may be headed south. If it survives the surface scan, defrag then may work.

Might be better to do it in a DOS environment to preclude anything in Windows to interfere with it. Running it in Safe Mode would be comparable (if you're not comfortable with DOS), as Windows only loads minimal drivers and would be less subject to interference from something else running.

Do any backing up you can and prepare for the worst.

The surface scan should be run to automatically repair or mark as bad sectors unusable. Once bad sectors show up, their number seems to increase. Just my experience.

I did the ScanDisk and it solved the problem. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back