Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop is very slow 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfin

Technical User
Aug 9, 2020
IN

I have a Toshiba laptop satellite c50-A i2012 with 2gb Nvidia GeForce 710m graphics card and 4gb RAM. It had windows 8 pro inbuilt. After some years, I changed windows to 10. After 2 months, laptop started to slow down. games started to get slower. After some days, graphics card drivers stopped working (showing error). Whenever I install driver software, it crashes. I gave it to a shop and they said like graphics card is dead. And he told me to never install its driver.
It started to slow down after some days. And I gave it to another technician (fact is I don't know him). He said that it had motherboard problems and needed chip level servicing. He changed windows into 7 and told it is repaired. I don't know what he says is true and have no money for giving lap to stores... Still my lap is very slow. It even need almost 10minutes to start Playing a movie. I ran a test and found out that the hard-disk is a bit weak too. Cpu usage is only 1%.
Please help me fix my laptop. I will give information on my laptop whatever is needed. Thanks.

It's NOT always a good idea. Older computers may not benefit enough to justify the purchase of an SSD IF they are only SATA2.

I have to endorse those who say just buy a new laptop.

I had, at the time, a relatively powerful Sony Win7 for years. It became noisy and ponderous and took longer to start up and load apps. I doubled the RAM and opened it up to clear out the dust from air ducts in an attempt to improve cooling and lower the strain on the fan. But there was no significant increase in performance.

I bought a new i7 ThinkBook with an SSD and am delighted! It starts up as quickly as a mobile phone and is almost silent. Updates are downloaded and installed really quickly. So go for it, Alvin! You'll not regret it.

(Still figuring out the best way to dispose of the Sony!)

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

You can fix a slow laptop by conducting normal maintenance on your machine, such as freeing up hard drive space and running the Windows hard drive utilities. You can also prevent unneeded programs from launching when your laptop starts and add more RAM memory to increase performance.

Folks, I believe this is what's known as a 'zombie thread'. It's 8 months since the OP posted his/her query and he/she hasn't been seen since last September... so I suspect an appropriate solution has been found by now.

Oh, and it was me who red-flagged mariah1902's nonsense last December in this thread and in others.

Now can we let this thread have a decent funeral? [smile]

zombie_thread_o2ymp6.jpg

It's more sinister than that. When people pop up out of nowhere and start replying to old threads, they have a purpose in mind like (eventually) putting some ad or spam in their posts. The "canned" response given proves intention here.

mariah1902 returned and added spam links to her posts in several different threads... hence the red-flagging.

What tek-tips really needs to do is add the ability to close or finalize a thread. I belong to other forums that do that and no new content is allowed on the thread.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I second the motion. You could always reference the old thread in a new thread.

Hey guys, this week i just tried to use the laptop... And just did something. Got startup repair and I opened a file and used it to replace a file in system32... (I don't recall the file name... Starts with "st") just like I saw in a YouTube video.
Not because it could repair the laptop, I wanted to do those in a computer. Now the laptop works fine, but I haven't installed my graphic drivers.. cuz last time i did it, windows crashed... The lap is currently running in windows 7...

Oh, I can understand this situation and Dont worry about this. I think You have to need a good SSD for your laptop. From here, You can get a good and branded SSD. I hope so, You will like this.

Its better change the internal hardisk to SSD drive and change the RAM slot or install a new RAM It might any impact on the running speed

The best solution is to swap the HDD with a SATA SSD and adding another 4 gigs of ram. If this does not work, time to get a new laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back