Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top 2 in the one record query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunk

Programmer
Aug 20, 2001
AU
I hope this is the correct forum.

I need a view that returns the Top 2 (most recently added) records in a table called Person_For_Contact. I want the top 2 record items to be contained in the one record i.e PFC_1_Address1, PFC_1_Phone etc and PFC_2_Address1, PFC_2_Phone etc.
I know how to do this in a stored procedure, but I need a view to do the job as I am linking to it from an Access database.
I have not had any success in a view.

Thanks

Hi,

Have you considered using your stored procedure to create/calculate the data you require and add it as a record to a table? You could then simply create a view on this table.

Cheers,
Thegeezza

You probablyly can do this:

Code:
select 
t2.*, t3.*
from 
 (select top 1 * from (select top 2 * from myTable order by dt desc) t0 order by dt desc ) t2, 
 (select top 1 * from (select top 2 * from myTable order by dt desc) t1 order by dt asc ) t3

Just getting back on this one:
Code below did the job
Code:
CREATE TABLE #Array_NOK ( 
			Array_Key smallint Identity(1,1) , 
			Array_NOK_individual_client_relshp_id numeric(5),
			Array_NOK_Client_Id numeric(5),
			Array_NOK_Name3 varchar(30),Array_NOK_Name2 varchar(30),Array_NOK_Name1 varchar(30),
			Array_NOK_Address3 varchar(60),Array_NOK_Address2 varchar(60),Array_NOK_Address1 varchar(60),
			Array_NOK_Suburb varchar(60), Array_NOK_PostCode varchar(12),Array_NOK_State varchar(3),
			Array_NOK_Home_Phone varchar(20),Array_NOK_Work_Phone varchar(20)
			)

INSERT INTO  #Array_NOK (Array_NOK_individual_client_relshp_id ,Array_NOK_Client_Id,
			Array_NOK_Name3 ,Array_NOK_Name2 ,Array_NOK_Name1 ,
			Array_NOK_Address3 ,Array_NOK_Address2 ,Array_NOK_Address1 ,
			Array_NOK_Suburb , Array_NOK_State , Array_NOK_PostCode ,
			Array_NOK_Home_Phone ,Array_NOK_Work_Phone )
			SELECT 
			individual_client_relshp_id,NOK_Client_Id,
			NOK_Name3, NOK_Name2, NOK_Name1,
			NOK_Address3, NOK_Address2, NOK_Address1,
			NOK_Suburb, NOK_State, NOK_Postcode,
			NOK_Home_Phone, NOK_Work_Phone
			FROM 
			(SELECT Top 100 percent V_NOK.* 
			 FROM	  	V_Hahs_IMRU_CAxF_SR_Details AS V_SR
			 LEFT  JOIN	V_Hahs_IMRU_NOK V_NOK 
			 ON V_SR.SR_Client_Id =  V_NOK.NOK_Client_Id	
			 WHERE 	V_SR.SR_ID = @SR_ID 
			 ORDER BY individual_client_relshp_id DESC ) V_NOK	
SELECT  V_SR.*,
	NOK_1.Array_NOK_Name3 as NOK_1_Name3,NOK_1.Array_NOK_Name2 as NOK_1_Name2,NOK_1.Array_NOK_Name1 as NOK_1_Name1,
	NOK_1.Array_NOK_Address1 as NOK_1_Address1, NOK_1.Array_NOK_Address2 as NOK_1_Address2, NOK_1.Array_NOK_Address3 as NOK_1_Address3,
	NOK_1.Array_NOK_Suburb as NOK_1_Suburb, NOK_1.Array_NOK_State as NOK_1_State, NOK_1.Array_NOK_Postcode as NOK_1_Postcode,
	NOK_1.Array_NOK_Home_Phone as NOK_1_Home_Phone, NOK_1.Array_NOK_Work_Phone as NOK_1_Work_Phone,
	NOK_2.Array_NOK_Name3 as NOK_2_Name3,NOK_2.Array_NOK_Name2 as NOK_2_Name2,NOK_2.Array_NOK_Name1 as NOK_2_Name1,
	NOK_2.Array_NOK_Address1 as NOK_2_Address1, NOK_2.Array_NOK_Address2 as NOK_2_Address2, NOK_2.Array_NOK_Address3 as NOK_2_Address3,
	NOK_2.Array_NOK_Suburb as NOK_2_Suburb, NOK_2.Array_NOK_State as NOK_2_State, NOK_2.Array_NOK_Postcode as NOK_2_Postcode,
	NOK_2.Array_NOK_Home_Phone as NOK_2_Home_Phone, NOK_2.Array_NOK_Work_Phone as NOK_2_Work_Phone,
		INTO #Temp_SR_NOK_Issues 
FROM 	V_Hahs_IMRU_CAxF_SR_Details V_SR
	LEFT JOIN #Array_NOK as NOK_1
	ON  NOK_1.Array_NOK_Client_Id = V_SR.SR_Client_Id  and NOK_1.Array_Key = 1
	LEFT JOIN #Array_NOK as NOK_2
	ON  NOK_2.Array_NOK_Client_Id = V_SR.SR_Client_Id and NOK_2.Array_Key = 2

Sorry about the format.
The trick was to populate a table with an identity column so the table acts as an array and the identity column as the subscript.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back