Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This is STRANGE!! Totals double when refreshed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thormax

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
The totals are doubling whenever clients refresh a query. Does any one know why? Very strange. Can't seem to find the answer.

There must be more to it that this. Does the report have multiple data providers? Are they properly linked?

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

No that is what is strange there are no other data providers. What is more interesting is that it doesn't happen in every Universe. Just this one universe. It is certainly a mystery.

So, what you're saying is that everytime you refresh it, the measures double?

Or, are you saying that they are double what they should be?

Is this a problem in a specific report? If so, perhaps your report is corrupt.

If this is a problem with every query on this universe, then you have a universe problem.

What version are you running?

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

Version 4.1.7

You can see the query as it currently is, it has totals on the bottom for example, $2,000, in one section. When you hit refresh it ends up $4,000. All of the totalas do this.

It does it in every query in this one universe? We did just upgrade BO but it did this in the old one as well. 2.0 universe and 3.0 universe

You just upgraded to Version 4.1.7? That's been obsolete for almost 5 years.

What about the rest of the data, is it doubled also? If I had to guess, you have a fan trap or a join that is wrong in the universe. BO doesn't generate wrong SQL.

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

Sorry, said that wrong 5.1.7.

Yes, it totals everything.

What is a "fan trap"?

As an update: I ran the query in three different universes and it doubles everything in all. I ran it on different machinces and it doubles everyting on each also.

A Fan Trap is a one - many - many relationship. This would happen if you are using a Summary and a Detail table in one query. Fan Traps can cause numbers to multiply. Business Objects resolves this transparently by using 2 queries. It is resolved automatically as long as the measure objects have aggregrate functions (query will split in 2).

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

[blue]Software code, like laws and sausages, should never be examined in production[/blue][black] - [/black][purple]Edward Tenner[/purple]

The only reason I can see wiuld be that the clients have their own version of the univers, and a join is missing, and that the y are clicking RUN and not refresh, thus regenerating the SQL.

I suggest that you extract the SQL from your original query and compare it with that on a client machine, paying particular attention to the 'where' clauses.

Brian

If you do not take precautions (see multiple paths on universe parameters) you may end up with a query that generates incorrect output. As DBomrrsm indicates this may be the case with your universe structure.

On the other hand, this could be a BO hickup. Did you perform a test with the generated SQL output when you run the query within a SQL-tool?

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Thanks everyone for you help.

We found the issue. Fixed it and it works. In the AS400 Security Codes. The users who experienced duplicate numbers had security codes under their user name in two companies. Once we deleted all profiles and security codes and redid just one everything worked.

Thanks again.

That would be a form of a fan-trap.

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

Is there a way create BO reports with web intelligence that are like pivot tables in Excel?

Thanks,

Dwaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back