Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This is Hell !!!! Phone Manager and Dell PC's after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie77

Programmer
Oct 15, 2004
GB
2 weeks ago I upgraded a 406 v1 with DT phones (and some 64XX DS and 46XX IP phones) to an IP500 replacing all the DT phones with 56xx IP phones.

Everything went reasonably well if not long and a little tedious rebuilding the database by hand.

10 days after the upgrade it all went very wrong.

1st thing was voicemail would not work. One of our techs went to site and tried all manor of things and eventually got it working by changing the IP address of the IPO from 172.16.10.14 to 172.16.10.3. This should not make any difference but it sorted V/M.

Not 98% of the phone Managers will not find the IPO. also we have another IPOon the same subnet connected via SCN. 406v2 presently 3.2(59) waiting for upgraded memory 406 to replace it to make both units 4.0(10). Phone Managers do not find either machine via broadcast or by specifying either IP Addr.

All machines are small, good spec Dell PC's runnning very little. Machines are installed from a Ghost file and given to users. They are running FSceure AV but this has been uninstalled and makes no difference. PC's have MS Office, Lotus Notes and an AS400 Terminal client and not much else.

The TFTP server see's the PM PC's broadcast a TFTP request for nasystem/who_is but never see a response.

My laptop works fine, other Tech's laptop works fine, PM on VM Server works fine and approx 5 users out of 75 work no problem but not others.

I am pretty sure if he re ghosts his user machines they will start working. My concern is that this has been caused by a windows hotfix or something similar and we wil reghost 75 machines and then be at square one in 2 weeks or so!!!

Anyone seen anything similar??

IT is not the IPO. I took out another IP500 and connected it via a hub to a machine that doesn't work and it made no diffence. This is with the IPO in default and with the customer DB in place.

Me and the customer are now seriously considering giving up and working for the council on the bin's!!!!!!

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Jamie i know you have been around a while and probably checked but do you have the default gateway set up right in the IPO? are the computers in the same subnet as the IPO? If you put the IPO address in will it find it? I dont use 4.0.10 because we have had so many issues with it. we use 4.0.7 and i have not seen these kinds of issues.

I haved tried this on .10 and .7. On the customer unit and on our spare IP500 set up the same on a separate physical network with one of the customer mchines.

IP Routes are all good. like I say, 5 machines on the n/w given addresses by DHCP work fine, they find both IPO's. Even if we put either IPO address into PM is just will not work.

Nothing changed (that we know of!!! something must have!)and then all of a sudden, it just stopped working!!!!

If the DHCP gives my laptop an address it finds both IPO's.

Jamie Green

Do they work with vlans ?
and if they do are all ports on the switch configured right ?

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

It almost sounds like maybe something in the ghost config. do they do anything with the network adapters in the config?

10 days after the upgrade it all went very wrong.

So it suddenly went wrong or was it gradual? What day was it? (does it correspond with MS Patch day?)

I'd look through the add-remove prgrams and see what updates have been installed. Potentially take one of the machines and uninstall patch after patch might offer a solution.

When the phone manager starts what do you get? is it the logon box with default IP or blank?

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

MS Patches are controlled by the Admin. Can't see any difference between hotfixes on non working to working PC's.

When PM starts the IP is correct for the main site but can't connect to the user list. click on browse and doesn't find either system. using broadcast or either direct IP address.

Jamie Green

IP conflict with the IPO? What is suppling IP addresses?

just a stab here, but did you give the IPO 500 the same IP address? If so you need to run arp -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on all the client computers. the x's representing the ip address of the IPO. the client machines know of the other IP/MAC relationship. just a thought.

Could it be something to do with Firewall settings on PCs? Might explain why you see request leaving PC but no response getting back.

No firewall on PC's and AV has been removed for testing.

We have tried 3 different IP addresses. The old IPO was 172.16.10.14 so it was set to this first and worked fine for about 10 days. We changed the IPO to 172.16.10.3 which we then found was the old AS400 server, tracert was showing the AS400 server as the DNS name! So we then tried 172.16.10.55 which has never been in use on the n/w.

None of this makes the blindest bit of difference.

I will get the customer to try your suggestion chkbrt.

Thanks all.

Jamie Green

I can't see exactly why this would apply here but it's worth a go:

In device manager on the PC's, delete the network adapter (card). Reboot and it should be redetected. Check it has reinstalled correctly and has picked up an IP etc.
Windows has a unique ID assigned to each network interface and this gets cloned in the image if it's not done properly (IE with Microsoft's sysprep utility).

We get this when cloning multiple terminal servers and then trying to load balance them. I can't see why this would apply to a standard broadcast packet but it's worth a go.

You havent got a rogue router on the network?
One of these routers which gives wireless LANs but acts as a switch or any thing.

You know the PC world sort of thing..

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement
CCNA - Working towards.

There are 2 wireless bridge's linking to other local offices. The other IPO is over one and loads of IP phones on the other. These seem all ok though.

The SCN between IPO's works fine, even though one is 3.2(54) and Main site is 4.0(10). The softwares will be sorted when we get a 406v2 with enough memory on to replace to remote unit.

I have just been advised that one of the PC's that did work now doesn't. This coinsided with the other IT guy coming back from hols and his worked fine (he's been away all through this!!).

We only ever get 5 working (always the same 5 up to now).

Jamie Green

It's only Phone Manager Pro that would be licensing, they don't even come up with Lite!!

The 5 makes me think of a Citrix senario but we don't have that. All the clients are proper PC's (2000/XP Pro/Vista). The whole 5 PC's working is probably a red herring.

Large subnet 172.16.x.x/16.

IP Offices 172.16.10.3(was 14 or 55) and 172.16.10.9. IP Phones are statically assigned at present 172.16.20.x/16 and DHCP gives PC's addresses 172.16.14.x/16.

Jamie Green

The one that stopped working has is now working ish!!!

If the user just starts PM it does start but doesn't show the user name in the top bar and say UNLICENSED. If we try to re login, it cannot connect to either IPO to get a user list.

We have tried running arp -d and it makes no difference

Jamie Green

Change the Range of the second IP office...

I don't know why, but we had a similar sort of setup with all sorts of SCN problems and cahngeing the range of one of the IPO's sorted it out

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

The SCN has has been like that for 12 months with no issues. Customer wants the whole thing on the same subnet.

Jamie Green

I thought it wasnt adviseable to have the IP Office on the same subnet. I am sure I see some thing on avaya information which stated this.

I could be very very wrong. I will try and find the info.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement
CCNA - Working towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back