Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The X-Second Rule 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
In a crowd yesterday, I overheard someone say something about "the three minute rule" but I have no idea what it was referring to.

I do know of the following rule, though:

The ten second rule
When you drop food on the floor, if it has been there for less than ten seconds, you may pick it up and eat it. After that, of course, the food is contaminated and is only fit for dogs or the trash.

I invite in this thread for people to suggest clever and amusing rules in the following form:

The (number) (unit of time) rule
Definition.

For example, the two week rule, the nineteen month rule, the five year rule. Perhaps even reverse the order as in the year two rule.

Remember that we are aiming for witty. Please keep your contributions clean.

[COLOR=#aa88aa black]Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.[/color]

The 46 day rule
If after 46 days you're still waiting for a progress bar to get to the other side, it's probably time to restart your computer.

[COLOR=#aa88aa black]Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.[/color]

Esquared - I'd add - unless you are rendering a high quality, large size fractal. There's a reason why fractal software is often refered to as sleepware.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

How about a "foot" rule?

The 3-feet rule: You cannot call "shotgun" unless you are within 3 feet of the car.

Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce
they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does
[infinity]

LFI,

Sorry, but standard "shotgun" rules state that "shotgun" can be called at any point once the vehicle is in sight.

Boy, have I been seriously misled!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce
they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does
[infinity]

The shotgun rule states that shotgun can be called at any point once the vehicle is in sight of all passengers.

Korn, you must be looking at the old rules, they've been amended. :)

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

mrdenny,

Thank you for the correction. I left out the phrase "of all passengers", which is a small but important distinction.

Shotgun? Car? What the Sam Hill are you talking about??
[spineyes]

Chris

Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?
- Stephen Wright

How in the name of Jinx do you guys ever go anywhere?

And how do you avoid arrest when shouting "Shotgun!" - "Bitch!" - "Spanky!" at one another? Presumably whilst flicking a rolled up towel at each other's glutes?

[rofl]

Chris

- Stephen Wright

Oh, BTW, * 4 Olaf !

Chris

- Stephen Wright

MeGustaXL, are you an only child? Those of us with older/younger siblings are required to know about the shotgun rule, in order to rule control dominate get along with said siblings during car rides.

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

Hi Susan,

No, I have a six-years-younger brother. When we went for car rides, at least one of these 'rules' applied:

1. Mum went in the front passenger seat.
2. If Mum wasn't in the car, the law prohibiting children under the age of 14 from riding in front applied.
3. When I was 14, he was still only 8, so Law 2 applied.
4. I left home at 15, so who cared?
<TIC>
5. We're British, and therefore above such tomfoolery.
</TIC>

HAND [smile]

Chris

Everyday I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive days I have stayed alive.

Thanks for such an easily earned star, Chris.

For me, it remains a mystery, how the front passenger seat is connected to "shotgun". I'd call that passenger pool position, PPP.

Bye, Olaf.

I must correct myself. It's not the ten second rule as I stated in the OP. It's the five second rule - "... time was not a factor when food is exposed to bacteria; even two seconds' exposure is more than enough time to contaminate it."

And variously:

the five second rule
• A player, while closely guarded, may not hold or dribble the ball for more than five seconds.
• During a throw-in, the thrower must release the ball directly into the court before five seconds have elapsed.

the two second rule
While driving, the minimum distance one ought to be from the vehicle in front is the distance traveled in two seconds.

the three seconds rule
a basketball player shall not remain in the opponents' restricted area for more than three consecutive seconds while his team is in control of a live ball in the frontcourt and the game clock is running.

the four second rule
Four seconds is the maximum length of time an average online shopper will wait for a Web page to load before potentially abandoning a retail site.

The Half Second Rule: Your Master Key to Safe, Rapid & Effective Change
Note: In less than [red]five minutes[/red] you can master these proven Insider-Secrets to Easily [red]Change Your Life![/red]
(You too can learn this secret [red]for Only $10[/red])

the four second rule
Most runners' paces per every 400 meters will increase by about four seconds as they move up from one "classic" race distance to the next.

the 90 second rule
When people wait up to about a minute and a half, their sense of how much time has elapsed is fairly accurate. Anything over ninety or so seconds, however, and their sense of time distorts—if you ask how long they’ve been waiting, their honest answer can often be a very exaggerated one.

And I saved this one for its own post because it's so cool:

the half second rule
[my summary:] The brain uses a half second of lag or build-up time for conscious attention to a perceptual event to fully register.

[a quote:]The brain needs about half a second to recover from being "pinched up" to catch a perceptual event—it cannot focus sharply on a second event until it has had time to realign its anticipatory state.
[this article was the most fascinating one I have read in a long time!]

The half-a-minute rule

Matt Biancos version of half a minute is about 3:49 long, the extended version even 4:44.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back