Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The gap of professional and unprofessional knowledge 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jui

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
AU
Hello everyone,
As the technology moving so fast, and most of the people that could have the access of this technology advantages are professional people. The more access to this technology, means that professional people could gain more knowledge more easily than unprofessional people. Therefore the gap of knowledge between professional and unprofessional people become bigger. Is anyone has a similar thought?

come on you forgot soccer (ACTUAL football) !

6 pack of beer, WCW (before the WWF bought them), Star Trek, Babylon 5, classic sci-fi, another 6 pack.....

Seriously though, as has been said, not everyone wants the benefits of a modern technological society. Take the Amish for example. They live without electricity because they believe in living humble lives. Personally, I can't imagine it, but they seem to be happy. Some of the resentment of the Middle East toward of the West is not envy but more that they believe our way of life is "not right".

How to help those who want it without infringing on those who don't is something I can't answer.

Another reason there will always be class gaps was touched on by pivan and maxg. The way I phrase it is "all men are created with equal rights, but not equal abilities." Three can never be an equal distribution society becuase no-one would have any incentive to work hard. There must be reward for performance. Those with greater abilities will perform better and "move up". I don't see any way this can be avoided. In the meantime, all we can do is help where we can.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

10-4 Jeff, that's exactly where I'm coming from, I think also that you've hit on the key to it; we need to be open to helping when help is requested. We shouldn't be looking to go off on a crusade to bridge the 'Digital Divide' but if someone asks for our help or advice we should give it freely. I think too many people are reluctant to offer knowledge because they percieve dissemination of information as a threat to their security but that's a whole 'nother thread.

THE MORE YOU LEARN ,THE MORE YOU REALIZE HOW STUPID YOU REALLY ARE, this is how you can judge how professional some one is at anything ,the need and want to learn is omnipotent to any professional !!!!!!

And this is why I have so much trouble at interviews. I have a pretty good idea of how much I don't know. How am I supposed to sell myself?

same problem for me .... luckily, happily, i found a company where they were ?clever?professionnal? enough to understand that if i said "i don't know *exactly*, i need to learn more", that was a proof that i was honnest, and professional :)) and they hired me ;]

I agree with Jui, But want to add that also Social Gap's Have Grown Between those in Demand and Others who are less in demand.
The Hi-Tech Boom in Israel Up too 1999 created Extreme Social Gaps, Now it is collapsing in an "Un-Just" Way.
Similar to what is happening in USA too.
Jui Wrote:
Jui (TechnicalUser) Sep 4, 2001
Hello everyone,
As the technology moving so fast, and most of the people that could have the access of this technology advantages are professional people. The more access to this technology, means that professional people could gain more knowledge more easily than unprofessional people. Therefore the gap of knowledge between professional and unprofessional people become bigger. Is anyone has a similar thought?

A number of people mentioned earlier in the thread about educating the masses. Of course it must be the ultimate responsibility of the individual to educate themselves where possible, BUT do you think it is also our responsibility to assist in this education as we are the more fortunate ones with the means to do so?

Someone else mentioned knowledge is power, do we have a responsibility to share this knowledge?

É
:: ::

The old rule still works to this day:

You can take the horse to the water trough,
but you can't make the horse drink from it.

The sad fact is that we are becoming a nation of haves
and have-nots. The rationale for this is that due to
feel good, self-esteem malarky taking over for REAL
learning in our school systems (K-12), we are producing
individuals who for all intents and purposes, are simply
mindless drones.

When I read stats that 1/3 of entering college freshmen
(4 year institutions) need remedial coursework in basic
subjects (english/math, etc), I ask myself "How did this
person get admitted in the first place"? In a lot of
cases, students have been brainwashed anymore to THINK
college is the ticket to the GOOD life (it helps, don't
get me wrong), but it is NOT a cure all as some people
brainwashing high school students have them think.

In the long run, you only get out of education what you
put into it. Those who fail to put any effort into learning, will be left behind in the social-economic
ladder.

everyone should read what Alvin Toffler wrote almost 30 years ago regarding the information age! :)

He started this discussion 35 years ago. We're just humbly going by what he said would happen.

(by the way Alvin Toffler is not a guru or some religous leader but a sociologist) Gary Haran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back