Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtiv

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2002
US
Hello,

I've been given the task of taking copies of all our running configs on our Routers, Switches and PIX machines. I've never done this before. Can someone give me the detailed steps on how I would accomplish this using TFTP ? The commands for each type of hardware device (they're all Cisco). Any help would be appreciated. Basically, we're getting ready to upgrade all the IOS's and want backup config files.

Thanks

Assuming you have a tftp server running on a computer on your network the process is quite straightforward. If you do not have tftp server running there are a number freely available on the interent that run under windows (Cisco have one).

Logon into the router and simply type

copy startup-config tftp

and answer the prompts.

Ok, I downloaded the TFTP server off the CCO ciso website. Installed no problem. I then went to a router and simply did:

copy startup-config tftp

I then typed in the IP of the server which I installed the software on. Said transfer was successful. However, when I go to that TFTP directory, the file is on 2kb in size and when I open it in notepad, it's not very readable

Ok, I downloaded the TFTP server off the CCO ciso website. Installed no problem. I then went to a router and simply did:

copy startup-config tftp

I then typed in the IP of the server which I installed the software on. Said transfer was successful. However, when I go to that TFTP directory, the file is on 2kb in size and when I open it in notepad, it's not very readable

here is the output from my log:

Fri May 03 07:18:12 2002: Receiving '2621primary' file from 172.22.100.11 in binary mode

Fri May 03 07:18:12 2002: Successful.

Get a copy of Kiwi's CatTools..

CatTools will talk to the router and you can automate the download, upload of configs very easily so you do not have to be there pushing buttons and typing addresses. It also maintains a nice database on each device.

One of the best editors for Config files are from Solarwinds. 2nd choice is WinEdit or UltraEdit. Both of these come from the programming world and will color code the syntax which is VERY helpful in complicated configs.

For a plain-jain editor, I use ObjectEdit by StarDock. Works much better then notepad.

If you have troubles with notepad's lack of wrap(which can be fixed) use Wordpad but remember to save it in text and not a DOC file.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Hey, Thanks for the tip. Now I have to copy the configs for my 5 PIX firewalls and 2 Catalyst Switches (I'm done with the routers). Would you happen to know the exact commands for copying to TFTP for these devices ? 3 of the PIX's are 520's and 2 are 515's. The switches are a 5509 and 6509

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back