Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFTP backup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OV105

Technical User
Feb 15, 2010
US
Hi everyone,

I've not been having any success backing up to a tftp server and am not sure why. From all that I've read the process seems rather simple, and I'm sure it is, once all of the right configurations are set.

When I open the tftp server window, the ip address of my computer appears, which appears right since I am using my computer as a tftp server.

When I enter the command "copy running-config tftp" I am prompted to enter a host, which I then enter the ip address of my computer. There is only one choice for the next prompt, so I just hit enter. A message is then displayed saying, building configuration. It's then that I see those dreaded "dots" instead of exclamation points.

For those of you who can do this in your sleep, can you offer some direction here? I am using a Cisco 2514 router, by the way.

Thanks in advance!

I made the connection about the "topology" (no pun intended) and have committed it to memory.

Figuratively speaking, I should have listenend to that little voice on my shoulder that kept telling me to make a network connection between the PC and router ethernet. In all that I read, nowhere was it mentioned that a connection between PC and router ethernet was necessary, so it kind of got pushed in the background. This, too, has been committed to memory.

The fire wall was already disabled, so I then disabled the wireless connection. I configured both, the router and PC, according to your instructions and you are correct, because I am now able to ping between the two devices (see below.)

Ping from router to PC:

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/3/12 ms

The results of the backup to tftp:

TFTPTEST#copy running-config tftp
Remote host []? 192.168.1.1
Name of configuration file to write [tftptest-confg]?
Write file tftptest-confg on host 192.168.1.1? [confirm]
Building configuration...

The result is: Writing tftptest-confg ..... [Failed]

In the tftp server windown I see:

[03-11-2010 09:48:20]
CiscoKits Windows Service starting. Loading settings.

[03-11-2010 09:34:13]
CiscoKits Windows Service started.

CiscoKits Windows Service starting. Starting TFTP Server.

CiscoKits Windows Service starting. Loading settings.

Hearing that little voice on my shoulder (once again, figuratively) I shutdown this tftp server and opened a different tftp server program that I also have on my computer. No, both have never been open at the same time.

This is the message I received when I attempted another backup.

TFTPTEST#copy running-config tftp
Remote host []? 192.168.1.1
Name of configuration file to write [tftptest-confg]?
Write file tftptest-confg on host 192.168.1.1? [confirm]
Building configuration...

Writing tftptest-confg
TFTP: error code 2 received - Access violation
[Failed]
TFTPTEST#

Connection received from 192.168.1.2 on port 345 [11/03 11:06:37.918]
Write request for file <tftptest-confg>. Mode octet [11/03 11:06:37.918]
File <tftptest-confg> : error 5 in system call CreateFile Access is denied. [11/03 11:06:37.918]

The log that was generated has both good and bad news. The good, of course, is the router is now communicating with the tftp software. The bad is the denial of access.

I'm not sure if it's a PC configuration or tftp setting. I've not changed any vlaues since installing the tftp software and I've seen nothing to suggest that I should.

Next step?

Most tftp servers have a setting to "send and receive" files, with send only being the default. Make sure your tftp server allows both.

SolarWinds TFTP works.

GOT IT!! When I changed the TFTP window setting, Allow "\"As virtual root, and then stopped and started the server again the backup worked. Cripes, I sure hope the only question Cisco asks about tftp on the test is what port it runs on, otherwise I'll be in trouble! To be on the safe side, I think I'll do some more research on tftp settings.

I also enabled the fire wall and tried the backup and it worked, so I know the fire wall will not interfere with further backups.

From this experience, it is abundantly more clear that whenever I use my laptop to connect into my lab or, when the time comes, a client's system, I'm going to have to configure the PC's IP to match the network I'm working in. Where was that little voice when I began this project?

Oh and let me not forget...

MUCH THANKS!!!!

That's what I used and will use from now on.

Is the pc 192.168.1.1, and the router .2? Usually, people set it up as the router=.1, pc=.2

But that makes no difference, unless the router is .1, and you are specifying the tftp server as being .1

According to your tftp logs, that is not the case, I would imagine...

"File <tftptest-confg> : error 5 in system call CreateFile Access is denied. [11/03 11:06:37.918]"---this is definitely a tftp permissions or related setting,perhaps like Clue mentioned. The tftp server clearly sees the request for the name you gave the config file in the router, so they are indeed communicating back AND forth.

Definitely a TFTP server setting.

I always use this one---it's free, and has never failed me at MANY many many tftp transfers...just set the root directory, which defaults to wherever the tftp.exe is started from---start it, set the directory, minimize, and transfer.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

BTW, connecting via console cable---the only way to tftp via the console is from rommon, but the 2500 series do not support that (started in the day of the 2600's), so you'd be left with xmodem/zmodem. You could set the config register (rommon1>o/r 0x3922) to 3922 for BAUD of 115,200, which is much faster than 9600, and twice as fast as ISDN (It Still Does Nothing or I Still Don't Know)...lol

/

Building dependency tree

I setup the PC as .1 and the router as .2

I thought it was a tftp setting, just didn't know which one.

I'll repeat this exercise a few times until I feel comfortable with the trial and error process I went through and the invaluable input from all of you.

One step closer!

Yeah---we all posted at the same time...lol

Try tftp32d as myself and ISP have suggested.

/

Building dependency tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back