Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating IOS from a tftp server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverhairb

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2008
US
I've got a 3640 router in the lab that doesn't seem to want to copy a version of IOS from a tftp server. Its running IOS 11.2(23) j-mz. I'd like to try to get it running on 12.3(15) that I have on another 3640 and backed-up to a tftp server. Lab use only.

It appears that the copy format needs to be something like:

router# copy tftp: c3640-js-mz.123-15.bin flash: [maybe something here?]

but seems to have a problem with defining the destination starting with "flash:" which seems to give the error. Just using the command:

router# copy tftp: flash:

gives an error ^ under the first "t" in "tftp:".

Copying from the router to tftp: did require the filename in the command and worked OK. Copying from flash to / from a PCMCIA card in slot0 works. I'd use the PCMCIA card but its 8meg and the image is more than 16meg.

I'd certainly like to try to update that 3640 if I can.

Thanks in advance,

[the other] Bill

I do that whenever I get the chance. Our principal network engineer is flying out to talk with a customer, and while he is here, he wants me and him to do a refresher Cisco crash course for a few guys. I think I'm going to maybe do Billy's idea...I like that!

Burt

LoL.. Let us know how that turns out.. And share the TCL script! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back