Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Effects ? ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrroberts

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
GB
Hi There,
Can anybody help me, I am trying to create two text effects one is like a "wave" the other is "spinning" the links below show the thing I mean...

Can anybody point me to a tutorial or if is simple to do tell me how to do it?

any help would be great.
Cheers !!!

Aaron !!!
aaron_r69@hotmail.com

If you check through they have loads of tutorials on Flash. Also try a search for Flash tutorials on any search engine and here also. I can think of a way to do this (both FX) but not sure if I can explain it here. I'm about to have ago after I have posted this so keep watching for new poast. roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

If you check through they have loads of tutorials on Flash. Also try a search for Flash tutorials on any search engine and here also. I can think of a way to do this (both FX) but I think it will most likely be a long way round. There is a plugin for flash that does things like that but I can't remember what it is called. Maybe someone else will remember. roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

Probably done with Swish or Flax!
See thread250-97380.

But the guy is offering to make it 4 u free!

On Flaskit you'll find FlashTyper:

But that's like loading external swfs... And you can't import your text effect in your fla.
I would go with Flax!

;-) If you're stuck with lemons... Make lemonade!

Cheers Guys !

I will go and buy one or both of these....
also is it worth buying Photoshop, you carnt get the proper effects drawing with flash or is there any other programs you suggest ??

Thanks again !!

Adobe Ilustrator is a vector based programme that alot of people swear by. I don't use it myself as I can't afford it yet but it is apparently very useful for using with Flash. roda B-)

Ummm...as I was told earlier, a lot of people swear by adobe illustrator...I've never used it, but if they say it's good, go for it.

Photoshop is great too, it's not really made for use with flash, but it is great in the image editing areas...

Anyways, also, those little effects, can be made with multiple MC's...you just have to make like 26mc's, of each letter, then place them in the main movie how you want them...just like on different layers and probably stagger them so they play in sequence...

When life gives you lemons...throw them back and get the oranges you ordered!:-Q

Is that 26 mc's for each letter or turn each letter into an mc...? Sorry (heh heh)
Yeah, photoshop kicks butt!! If you want to do something that's fixed then photoshop does produce some nice FX to use in Flash. roda B-)

26 MC's for each letter...then each letter has the animation, but shoot, maybe i should start creating library files...make those 26 letter animations, then people could just drop them right in...

See, the way the tutorial I looked at stated, he made 26 different animations, then when he wanted to do something spelling out, he took each one, and made key frames on a layer...then placed the mc's on that layer, each one coming a little after the other. It sounds like pure simplicity to me. Rather than spending $30 on some software...although that software I've seen is very good...;-)

Ahhh.... I get what you mean. So you make 26 mc's with every letter of the alphabet, you can then use it over and over. And if you want to change the font you just go in and edit each one you want to use.... Coooooolio!! Seems like a good idea to do that when there's nothing else to do but you want to do something anyway. You could come up with loads of different animations and have them on tap. It was getting quite dull in the office but as I have Flash here and it dosen't get used much I think I may have a go.

Cheers WhiteT X-) roda B-)

Hey, if your going to spend the time doing that at the same time I am...send me some of your work, I'll see if I can make a site that hosts flash buttons, MC Fonts, etc...all the misc stuff for Flash that some people just want to grab and run...;)

Sounds like a good idea! I'm up for that.

Heres my e-mail: roda@talk21.com

I'm working on my site at the moment. Sometimes I want to work with Flash but don't want to work on my site so things like this are always cool.

Could end up learning stuff too. LOL roda B-)

Sure will, can't e-mail ya from work tho...;)
how about you mail me at WHITETLG3R@aol.com LOL...

Hey roda...I got some effects down...=)

I made the alphabet to where it flips up a couple times, and fades to 0 alpha...looks like it's taking off...=P

it takes a little time to do text on there, but it's worth the work so I dont have to buy all these programs and stuff...

What I end up doing is calculating how long the text is going to animate...then, put keyframes along the layer, add the first MC to all frames, next, second MC to every frame except the first set of frames and so on...it's turned out to be a nice effect...NOW, what we need to do, is get someone WITH flax, swish, etc...to make those individual 'exploding' animations, and all us normal users can use the effects as well...unless I take some time and make my own...;)

Sounds cool man. I ended up having no time over the weekend so didn't get round to doing any. I was thinking about what you said (earlier) about having a site dedicated to mc's and stuff. Well, why don't we see if there's an area here we can display em...? I mean, theres the FAQ section, or we could ask the guys here if they could create a new section.... Downloads. Could be worth a go and it will be a lot easier than building a new site, easier for people to get at it as well as they won't have to leave the site. roda B-)

Yea, who do we have to talk to to do that?...because that would be cool

And the buttons I'm talking about, aren't like, normal square buttons, I'm talking about things with mc's, special effects, multiple button mc's, etc.

And just the general ability to show off some great works of flash, but in the little areas...like one kickin button collection that say, 5 buttons interact with each other when pressed...or some cool effects with them, like them exploding when you click on them...I dunno...

Sounds like a good Idea to me !!!!

Who do we need to talk to ?

We could get very carried away with this and by the sounds of it you have [ha ha] I reckon we could put anything in there with .SWF and .FLA for people to rip apart and see how it was done. Sometimes I see a question and I know how to do it as I've done something simular before but try to explain it, well, thats something quite different. If we have an area where we put fancy things [buttons/mc's etc.) there as well as the standard, you just point them at it. Theres an area in the "contact us" section of this site where you can suggest a new forum, we could try that and see what happens. What we need to do is come up with a name for it and maybe some ideas as to how it would work. It would be good to have a buttons area, mc area and so on that anyone could add a link to their .swf, .fla without having to start a new section. What am I talking about...? The FAQ's section already works like that! DOH! That would work! We just need another section like the FAQ's but dedicated to downloads. Of course all these files for download would be on our own individual servers so Tek-Tips wouldn't have to hold them or even have anything to do with them.

exploding buttons, that was mentioned in a post not to long ago I seem to remember.

So, suggestions for the new area "title". One does spring to mind - Flash Downloads! Pretty straight forward eh...?

I'll wait till you post again with you're thought's and then I think we should contact them with the idea.

roda B-)

Sounds good to me...:::Looks around suspiciously::: I just hope no one is already seeing this...hehehe....

But yea, a faq TYPE section, with fla's and swfs linked to space that is our own...

And if youve ever been to andyart.com (Now screamdesign)...look in the freebie section...they've got animated gifs, buttons, tutorials etc...that's almost what I'm trying to set up...

because also, I know that LOTS of sites have flash content that have tutorials, but couldn't we take all of that, since it would basically be a FAQ, or forum, and gather it all into 1 space and clean it all up?...(linked of course)

We could put together flash tutorials, and other things such as that, so say, if I needed an interface...(not just buttons!), then I could go grab it, drop it right into my site, and link buttons to pages or something...(of course we would hide a lil sumthin in there to give US credit...

But there are lots of possibilities for this...
Buttons
Animation drop ins (Site spice-up.)
Interfaces
Actionscript Drop-ins
Tutorials (although not needed)
and tips and tricks...

Not only letting people rip this stuff apart, but let them use it...say, a special animation that we want to let people use, but not rip apart, compile into swf, and let them drop it in as something to spice up the site. Like a tornado swf that adds a little motion to the page...I dont know...e-mail me at WHITETLG3R@aol.com I'm always at work until I get home and get kinda busy...

By the way, I found out how to make a Z-perspective in Flash, but it requires some keyframing...
Like that spinning circle...I ended up making it look like it was a spinning plate...=) When life gives you lemons...throw them back and get the oranges you ordered! :-Q

Dont know if this is exactly what you want to achieve but I created a word that spins 360 degrees. Very simple. Has to be done in Frame-by-Frame animation but basically:

- type a word in first frame
- increase kerning by 1 in second frame
- increase kerning by 1 more in third frame
- continue until sufficient
- flip word horizontally
- decrease kerning by 1 per frame until at 0 again
- flip word horizontally again
- loop the movie clip back to start

To see what I mean go to:

and

wait for the 'Select Environment' box to initialise (takes 1 minute on 56k). Press the Circle button twice and press the Triangle button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back