Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing 2

strongm

MIS
May 24, 2001
GB
Just testing the new interface ...

I keep getting emails about new posts even though I've never marked to be informed about any posts or replays.
And is coming from Tek-Tips <no-reply@tek-tips.com>, so there is no way to notify anybody about it.

Now I have to find out where do I need to go to turn it off....

This is my own test

Hmmm.... I can't see an edit icon to format as 'code'...

EDIT: Aaah...I found the 'code' format icon... but the 'Language' dropdown doesn't include PowerShell, VB or VBS (or AutoHotkey) which is strange, given that there are forums on here for them.

Code:
# Change $dump_path from example "C:\Users\user\Documents" below to wherever you want and the length up to the full filepath max. of 256 characters
$dump_path = "C:\Users\user\Documents"
Get-ChildItem $dump_path -Recurse | Where-Object  {$_.Name.Length -gt 100} | select FullName

This is my own test

Hmmm - bold formatting looks great in Preview mode... but hardly shows at all once you post/save.

Attachments

• Check filepath length.txt
    281 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:
Just testing the new interface ...
Tek tips suddenly no longer works on some of my computers. I have not tested all of them yet, but so far this is my only computer on which I can access TT.

The plus is that this is the FIRST time I have been able to directly post to TT in YEARS without hacking TT pages.

Edit.

Based on what I see so far, the new interface sucks except for now being able to post.

Last edited:
I keep getting emails about new posts even though I've never marked to be informed about any posts or replays.
And is coming from Tek-Tips <no-reply@tek-tips.com>, so there is no way to notify anybody about it.

Now I have to find out where do I need to go to turn it off....
Click your name top right, select Preferences, unclick "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"

the 'Language' dropdown doesn't include PowerShell, VB or VBS (or AutoHotkey) which is strange, given there are forums on here for them.

Did the old site support that? At least this one supports some language formatting, which is a step forward.

Did the old site support that? At least this one supports some language formatting, which is a step forward.
I'm getting old... I can't remember. :(

Just discovered that any trophies I may have had are long gone, although I don't remember having any, so maybe trophies are a new useless feature.

Ditto with reactions.

Just discovered that I cannot find a way to find a specific FAQ except by paging through all 24 pages. Old way was MUCH MUCH BETTER, just simply SCROLL to the FAQ. Further, none of the FAQs have active forum links pointing to the appropriate FAQ.

yes this as with most other products where they redesign stuff isnt an improvement - much harder to find what you want to look for

would be nicer if they added back a single list of forums so you can go directly without scrolling though them all
perhaps im just getting old and grumpy ( or older and grumpier)

cant delete it :-(

yes this as with most other products where they redesign stuff isnt an improvement
I am not against improvement, but why does every "improvement" make things make things harder, if not impossible? My biggest gripe is fixing things that are not broken. Second biggest gripe is when things do break, everything else is "fixed" except what broke.

yes this as with most other products where they redesign stuff isnt an improvement - much harder to find what you want to look for

would be nicer if they added back a single list of forums so you can go directly without scrolling though them all
perhaps im just getting old and grumpy ( or older and grumpier)
I agree... previously I could see at a glance whether any of the forums I follow had new posts. Now it's more complicated, slower and I have to scroll. :(

Also, I can't quite see the point of having a 'Similar threads' panel as a footer if the results it shows are from 14 years ago or more.

Looks like clicking on
  • "Reply" in (lower-right corner of) any post and
  • scrolling all the way down in the Forum and clicking on "Post reply" does the same thing (?)
First action automatically adds original post as a quote.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back