Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services Printing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoko

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
US
Fox Application runing on Win2000 Terminal Server, five sites with five tcp/ip network printers.

Can only capture parallel or usb ports from local client.

How to print on local tcp/ip printer port.

I forgot.

I know that we can install all network printers on server, but, in that case we will have situation that each user need to pick corect printer to print and we have more than 20 network printers.

skoko

Take a look a APRINTERS(), that will give you an array of available printers on that station. Create a form with a combo with the array as a RowSource and use SET PRINTER TO to set the printer. Or am I reading this wrong? Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

APRINTERS() will give you all printers that are installed on terminal server (more than 20).

Problem is that Terminal Services can not redirect network printer, only local printer.

Workaround that I found is to assign network printer to lpt3

net use lpt3 \\server\printer

I believe that mapping the network printer to a local drive does work. The only other way I know of to get network printers from the local PC mapped is to use Citrix, which runs on top of Terminal Services. Citrix adds a lot of other capabilities too, but is pricey to license.

There is a big difference between TS and Citrix Metaframe. If you want to use a printer defined on a user´s pc you should use Citrix Metaframe. In fact, MS suggests this. TS can only use local printers if they are linked to a lpt-port. Nowadays you don´t need to have a printer connected to a lpt-port and this complictes things. I have defined all printers on server and have given TS-users access to these printers. It makes my life harder because the admin has to define the printers. You can´t win them all I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back