Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server User Keep Disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleblond

MIS
Dec 31, 2003
US
Hello,

Our company uses TS to connect our remote users. We have a Win2k server running TS with various users from around the country remoting in periodically using high speed internet connections through various ISPs. I have about 10 different users that connect from time to time with no more than 3-4 at the same time. I have one user out of the 10 that keeps disconnecting. Sometimes his session will last a couple minutes, sometimes 45 minutes. I have checked the various time out options in TS and it is set to never time out. I know that the issue isn't with TS because all the other users are fine.

My question is, what settings or configurations should I check on the end users laptop? I checked the actual network card and everything looks normal there. I even turned off energy saver on the network card. Or, could this be an ISP issue. Please help.

Thank you.

You were smart to turn off the energy saver mode, that has plagued me too. I wish MS would make the default NOT to allow the OS to shut down the NIC.

I've seen a similar problem with TS before. The cause for this particular user was a noisy dial up line. They had the phone company run a new line to their house and it went away. I'd check the ISP connection as a start. One other thing you could try is to have them first establish a VPN connection to your network and then have them TS to the server. that resolved a number of problems for me.

Thank you markdmac. I will try that. If anybody else has more ideas, that would be most appreciated. I want to bring a list of ideas with me so I can sit down with the user and fix this issue.

Thank you.

Just found out that the users is using Broadband and not DSL. Not sure if that will make a difference, but thought I should mention it.

We've had a lot of problems with Cox Cable dropping connections every few seconds with TS. Not a problem when you are surfing the web but a pain when using TS.

You should have the user ping your location, or try a trace route program such as WinMTR - that will tell you how stable the connection is by analyzing packet loss and checking where along the line it occurs. Either download that at or open a command prompt and type "ping -p", then the IP address of the PC they are trying to connect to.

We have VPN users that always call about such problems when connecting, and it's always the ISP - if 9 out of 10 are working fine, it's nothing on your end.

In our case it's usaually 1 out of 50 that has a problem and they blame us... whatever.

The user failed to tell me he was using a wireless router. I had him plug directly into the modem and he is now able to stay connected. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I'll bet you a nickel that the wireless card was getting shut off by the OS. See my original post.

Don't you love it when you get a "the user failed to tell me" line? Here's a good one - "Oh, I didn't tell you, I have AOL. How would that make any difference?"

Ahhh.... you love those! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back