Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP not installed, ip adress 0.0.0.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
Here's a strange one. I don't know if it belongs in TCP/IP, Microsoft XP Home or here. If anybody has seen this before, please let me know. Client called me because she couldn't connect to the internet. I asked her what had changed, and her response was she installed a mouse. (I know this has nothing to do with it.) She wanted me to look at it and also install Norton 2004. I went over and she was correct, she could not connect to the internet. I checked the cables, all was good. Ipconfig showed 0.0.0.0 for modem, dhcp server and dns server. Thinking this might be a problem with a virus, I left it alone and installed Norton. Norton found several things, nothing that looked to bad. Some spyware had changed the hosts file, things like that, but still no internet. Norton said there were still files that could not be fixed, the computer was still infected. I called the ISP which is a cable provider. They could see the modem, but not the computer. Plenty of lights, no problem, just 0.0.0.0. The tech helped for quite some time, and his final thought was f-disk. I re-booted and Symantec said TCP/IP was not installed, so I tried to install it, and it wouldn't let me. I tried to remove it, but of course M$ won't let you do that. Is there a virus out there that would cause this, or is it the tcp/ip stack. I'm not sure, but I'm leaning toward virus. One last thought, she works with students who have been expelled, 12 to 16 year olds. She finally admitted that the problem started shortly after bringing home a disk from work, and using it at home with no anti-virus software installed. That's why I'm leaning toward virus. Ideas? Thanks.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Member bcastner posted a link to a file called winsockfix which rebuilds the tcp/ip stack, can't think of the thread right now. I would try that first, but do your due diligence and disable System Restore, reboot, rerun virus chks, and install Hijackthis, Spybot s&d, spywareblaster, from disk if you have to. run them and see whats up.

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you ping 127.0.0.1? This is your home address and ping should ping OK if your NIC is OK. If ping can't find your home address, your NIC may have problems.

Also, had you checked your hardware config to see if there is a hardware conflict? Maybe the new mouse driver smashed your NIC driver.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
[/sup]

Thanks all. Here's the wierd part. I pinged 127.0.0.1 after I removed the bogus address and got nothing. Ok, this tells me there is a problem with the nic. I've got activity lights on both the nic and the cable modem. I run ipconfig /all and both pieces of hardware show 0.0.0.0 for ip address. I call the cable company thinking it's the modem gone bad. They tell me to do all I've done, and get the same results. Why would I get an ip adress of 0.0.0.0? This is usually when there are more than one nic trying to use the same ip. If it can't connect to a server, it should give you 169.254.x.x. Cable told me there should not be a listing for two harware devices, only the modem, which he can see from his end. He can't see anything beyond that, only the modem. I'm thinking, ok, there's a cable modem, but where do you plug this thing into the computer. It's plugged into the nic. His final solution is f-disk the machine. (I love tech support.) I've downloaded the file that zebratech pointed me to, and I'm going to try that next week. I can't believe it's the nic since when I do an ipconfig /all, I get a listing for two devices, one showing the modem, the other showing the nic, both with ip addresses of 0.0.0.0. Since she used a disk from work is why I keep thinking virus, but that doesn't mean there isn't a virus that corrupts the tcp/ip stack. Thanks, I'll let you know what happens. (Did check for hardware conflicts, all shows good.)

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Glen

I occasionally come across PC's where the IP stack / suit has been blown up. It is a lot of work fixing it.

But first, a simple question. Does the user connect to the Internet via the modem or a network card? If they are using a cable modem type of solution, then look at the IP address for the network card, and not the modem. This type of mistake is more easily made with a Win 9x PC runing winconfig.

Try using ipconfig /all to get a better picture.

Re-installing / upgrading Winsock is probably the best start. Re-installing Internet Explorer also helps. Once the basic core is installed, you should be able to add the rest.

Occasional worst case problems requires me deleting and removing the NIC, and then re-installing everything.

ipconfig /all showed 0.0.0.0 for two devices. The modem and the nic. This is what's so confusing.

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

A quick suggestion to verify the NIC, try using a live-CD such as KNOPPIX and see if it lets you on to the network.

No real network, just a cable modem and nic trying to get one xp machine on the network. (Sorry, don't know KNOPPIX.)

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Glen
Try replacing the NIC since you are using a cable modem. This will do two things...
- you may have a bad NIC
- it will result in re-installing drivers (and in theory, each NIC has it's own MAC address); Since the IP protocol has to bound at the hardware layer, this may / should result in lots of "black magic" which may help you get IP stack back.

Richard

Finally got someone at tech support. Wanted to talk to them again before I go back to the client. Here's there suggestions. Make sure dhcp service is starting. If it is, at dos, netsh_int_ip_reset_log.txt. This should re-build the tcp/ip. If error message comes up, go to start, run and type Regsvr32_ipmontr.dll. This will fix the tcp/ip stack. If this doesn't do it, the next step is
(Make sure we have the XP cd,) add/remove programs, windows components, communication folder, then re-add it. Bad ip with this company usually has to do with dhcp according to tech support from this company. Bad nic would show typical 169.254.x.x Wish me luck.

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Update. Installed IE6, tried re-installing nic, nothing. Still getting ip address of 0.0.0.0. Checked the dhcp service, it showed as starting. Ahh-haa. Could not start it, could not stop it, nothing. All options grayed out. Checked the logon, and it was set to logon using local account. Didn't look right, so I checked dns and tcp/ip, and there logon was set to use NT Authority/ Network service. As soon as I changed that on dhpc, then entered what my client thought was the admin password, after re-booting, I had the option to start. Only problem is she doesn't have the correct admin password. It tried to start, but couldn't authenticate. Waiting to here from husband to get password. Thanks for the help. (Anybody ever heard of a virus that disables dhcp?)

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Did you use the winsockfix listed above?? I've found it to fix a lot of these types of issues, as it rebuilds the tcp/ip stack.

Did you try taking a laptop or something over there that you know works, and seeing if you could pick up an IP then?

I had a very frustrating experience with our ISP at work, because they could log into our T1 gateway router (which is just a giant cable modem for the most part), and so as far as they were concerned, it was our problem. In reality though, I couldn't get a signal out of the other side of the router no matter what I did, and finally, after 2 DAYS of fighting with these guys, they sent a tech out.

2 minutes of testing later, he looked at me and said "...the router is bad".

For all you know, a new employee at your ISP thought he was improving the system by changing the MAC address of your cable modem in their database. Been there, done that, too.

I have also seen the TCP/IP protocol spontaneously corrupt on Windows machines MANY, MANY times, and after reinstalling it, it works just fine.

Hope that helped

deletion mistake
no I can't recover that
you didn't save it

-Shrubble

Working, thanks all for the help.
1)WinsockFix did not work.
2)Removed the registry keys, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock & Winsock2.
3)Rebooted the machine.
4)Re-installed TCP/IP by clicking on the network connection, Properties, click Protocol, Add, then click Have Disk. Type c:\windows\inf and then click ok. On the list of available protocols choose Internet Protocol,TCP/IP) then click ok. Re-start the computer. (Note, even before I re-booted the computer, I recieved a message down in the corner that Norton had done a live update.) Thanks all for the help.

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back