Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedro52

Instructor
Jan 29, 2004
AU
my xp system suddenly stopped shutting down and turning itslef off, I now have to turn off at wall. This will happen continuously, then out of the blue it will work ok and shutdown. I thought it would be the hard drive so had it replaced but this still happens.
Any ideas? Thanks
pedro

Pedro, Turning of at the wall should be a last resort as It is a good way to fudge your hard drive. Are you doing this because the case button does not work? I would be inclined to check the power options, first check that the bios ( press del key when PC start after first beep) make sure that power options are set correctly. The settings depend on your bios but if you are not sure change one setting save exit and check before changing the next one. If this makes no difference boot into XP and check the power options through the control panel, It may be your PC is set to always on and hibernate.

Thanks for your quick reply, in answer to your question, yes, I had to turn off at wall because the power button on the front of the PC never worked. The whole system shuts down automatically when I first got it, I don't like leaving things switched on unnecessarily so I turn it off at the wall. I cant get into Bios on bootup because it takes me to Recovery. I tried that and it worked once, the hard drive was replaced and they said it shuts down OK, but not for me!!! So much for service!
Other than bios, is there anything else I can check?
Thanking you in anticipation
pedro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back