Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Manager Migration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilogy8

Technical User
Jan 26, 2017
US
Hi all- I have a current SMGR managing 4 Session Managers and some other SIP entities. This was an inherited system with a bunch of stale data.

I spun up a new SMGR 7.x and don't want to migrate all the data. I want to manually start adding from scratch. To start I want to peel one of the Session Managers off the current SMGR and I'm just looking for the best way to do that.

1.I was planning to create the SIP entity on the new SMGR
2.remove the session manager entry from the current SMGR host file
3. remove the current SMGR entry from the SM host file
4. add the session manager to the new SMGR host file
5. add the new SMGR to the Session manager host file
6. run initTM

Also, should I delete all entity links on the current SMGR or any other reference to it?

Thanks for your help

Were you on midsize enterprise? whichever, activate 1 for your R7 SMGR WebLM and see.

Embarrassed to say I'm not sure what I'm classified as. I use duplex CM cores 6.3/G650 GW's. Other servers/apps are ASM, SMGR, AES, branch office LSP's and all on Enterprise licensing. Not sure how they classify ME vs others.

I'll activate this license and give it a try. In the case of multiple SM's being managed by a single SMGR what differentiates the various SM licenses that would go on SMGR for each? I have centralized licensing setup for my CM's, as there are multiple.

then not midsize enterprise:) that was 1 server with a simplex CM+everything else you mentioned.

SMs are clustered things by nature. So, the first one grabs the first instance license and go from there.

if youre plugging sm 6.3 on smgr7, make sure you activate n-1 to get a sm 6.3 license.

Sorry for the bother, after activating the license and at the section of where to host I have the 2 CLID's as choices for the SMGR7.x. Am I choosing one of those or adding a new host? And do I assign this a CLID or this license type doesn't apply?

On the SMGR license section I know how to install the license, but do I then need to assign an element instance or that doesn't apply?

So, its a new license host with 1 host ID, no centralized licensing ID. just pop it in SMGR and when you SMNetSetup and all that the SM will try to acquire one to get out of license error mode.

all I get in the email is just the activation record and no license attachment. Wondering if this was even a license.

Is this something the PLDS support will assist me with or pawn me off elsewhere?

maybe pawn you off. what other entitlements do you have to activate? At some point you should get a box of how many of what type of license to add to each product. Not every entitlement translates to an actual unit added to a system.

When I view in PLDS I see a product ID 271552, which is the AVAYA AURATM SESSION MNGR R6 VE VAPPLIANCE SYS LIC:DS, SR. That's the one mentioned earlier. I have other entitlements that have a product ID of 269367 (ENT ED R6 SM SIP CONN R6 LIC /E) and 264231 (SESSION MANAGER R6.X SIP CONNECTION LICENSE ENTITLEMENT)and the quantities of the first product ID look to have matched up with my rtu at the time. The 2nd is another several hundred quantity, which I don't see matches up with rtu or something that's cluing me into. The original order quote shows 2 ASM's, but not sure how they get separated.

I know this is beyond the call of this forum so I'll reach out to PLDS and see if they can offer anything valuable.

I've never tried what you've tried - to say, get a SM 6 license to operate it on SM7. SM upgrades are so trivial I've never needed to bother.

Maybe PLDS won't give you SM6 licenses because they're not needed when using SMGR6+SM6 and if you tried the whole thing on SMGR7 perhaps activating licenses for "current release" rather than "n-1" something different'll happen. Who knows.

The original entitlement I activated last week didn't email off a license file and only the activation record. I wasn't provided that option after activating. I have read though that there were licenses required for SM on new installs of 6.x. Mine was installed before that and was upgraded along the way and avoiding it. I guess like the demo cert thing. I'll reach out to them and see what they say, which I anticipate nothing useful.

Potentially a $0 order for the entitlements required now vs when you bought. A sales engineer might be useful.

My SE did say he's come across this before and wasn't sure what the material code was. Actually he referenced the one you mentioned earlier, but it wasn't that one. I opened a PLDS ticket who then referred me to productops. We'll see.

Question about license generation in general -- If I'm asked for my CM hostname is that what the servers were config'd with and would you require to give both server hostnames if they're duplicated or the alias?

dunno... you sure they don't mean hostID? There's a reason it could be both.

RFA authentication files have a productID and are generated against a hostname. So, if I want a new authentication file for a new CM, i go to RFA and click "new cm" and pop in the hostname and get a new productID + authentication file. Unlikely they'd need any of that.

HostID - knowing what WebLM your CM licenses are on. Certain entitlements (like SM sessions for UC users) are tied to things like having bought "aura foundation" licenses. To get the licenses and entitlements for ancillary stuff like SM, PLDS can oblige you to license that on the same host id. I suspect that's more what they'd look for.

We had recently purchased Session Border Controller and CM duplex for a sister company and the vendor is requesting 'hostname' of CM and SBC for license generation. I assumed it was the name we gave the servers during install. They haven't requested a webLM or System Manager Host as of yet.

@Randy / @Kyle - I have the same issue on my SMGR 7.1 with being unable to edit the host file. How do you get around that? My SM isn't in the SMGR host table and wanted to add that. And as you said, I can't elevate with root and I can't even log in with the admin account. I'm accessing via the account it asked you to create before deploying the ova.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back