Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System down BCM450 rls 1 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
System taking a lot power outages over last couple years, storm on weekend finally knocked it down for good.

Proved with laptop HD is bad
Download R6 image that comes with all others rls's
Replaced hard drive
Used putty and selected Rls 1 for initialization.

System wont boot still, recycles sequence over and over.
Like something else besides the HD went bad.

Thinking its the BFT....but can putty in???.

Any thoughts?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

curly someone here can correct me but I thought if you imaged the HD to rls 6 then you had to use rls 6 software.

We had similar issue on a different version - the continuous reboot.

Are you phones flashing - ours wasn't and it happened to the power supply (SMPS) in the main unit

Just had one last week do the same thing. It's the power supply.

Changed 3 out so far and has always been the power supply

Power supply as the others have said is the first thing I would try.

Seems like if you loose a HD you seem to loose the power supply too or vice versa.
Good news is you can likely just grab an off the shelf ATX PC power supply from your local computer supplier. Depending on the length and the number of the included power cables you might need some extension or splitters. The modular style PC power supplies that let you remove unnecessary power extensions usually work pretty well since you end up with less clutter inside the box that way.

But lots of the modern PC power supplies have way to many SATA power connections and not enough of the older style 4 pin AT molex power connections so you might need splitters for those.

But basically what I'm getting at is that there is no need to order the exact Nortel replacement part pay the premium and wait for it to ship to you.

If you have the redundant power supply in the 450 and it proves to be the problem you can replace with a single ATX power supply though you need to install a simple jumper on the board to turn off the alarm that occurs when the system thinks there is a redundant supply present. Check the maintenance guide that shows you how to install the redundant power supply to see where the jumper goes (basically reverse the process and put the jumper back in where the power supply status cable from the redundant supply goes).

Ditto on the power supply. I have had quite a few in the last couple of months.In all cases system seems to come up normally after recycling the power & just before it finishes it reboots again. Tried replacing drive on the first one only to find out that it was the power supply.

Some hit it took...

So far HD, PS and part of the BFT....vmail will not come up, some sets not coming up.

Proceeding with replacement of Rls 6.

Thanks all.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

sorry i forgot about the muliti image drive. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back