Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sysback 6000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracee

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
US
Is it possible that RS6000 Sysback does not backup the entire filesystem when you use the process. I have been backing up the system but it seems as though it is not populating the file for the data. What is the proper procedure? I have been backing up /home and rootvg...but /home is not being backed up. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tracie

Hi Tracie,
what means "backing up /home and rootvg" ?
If you use mksysb then all filesystems are contained to rootvg will be backed up, exclude that are listed in /etc/exclude.rootvg file.
Regards Boris

tracee,

Are you backing up to a file or tape? How are you trying to backup both a volume group and a filesystem at the same time? Did you really mean rootvg or /.

Sysback can backup volume groups and filesystems as well as logical volumes, files, and a complete image, but I don't think you can mix and match what you're backing up at the same time. This would require separate Sysback backups.

Thanks for your response. Let me type what I am doing and maybe it would be more clear. I use Smit.

smit
AIX System Backup & Recovery 6000
Backup & Restore Options
System Backup (Installation Image)
Backup the System

{Then I select my volume groups}
F7 I enter HOMEVG (which is the only VG there besides rootvg which is already included anyway)

The problem I am having is that all of rootvg is backed up but the HOMEVG only the attributes are backed up and no data.

Thanks for you help!
Tracee

You're certainly using the correct method to do this. Has it ever worked for you correctly? Does the last screen, prior to kicking off the backup display HOMEVG in the "Non-rootvg Volume Group to include" field? Are you using the "List Backup Contents" to view what got backed up? Or do you actually try and restore the HOMEVG or subset to see what restores?

I does display HOMEVG in the "non-rootvg groups to include"
I have not done a "LIST BACKUP CONTENTS"
I have tried to restore and it seems to capture only the attributes and not the data.

Thanks,
Tracee

I would suggest you do a "List Backup Contents" to see what is listed for the HOMEVG.

smit
AIX System Backup & Recovery 6000
List Backup Contents

When I do a list backup I see only the rootvg data and the attributes for the homevg. Why isnt homevg capturing the data?

Can you copy & paste a portion of the "List Contents" of the HOMEVG into your next response in the this forum to give me (us) an example of what you see when you mention "attributes"?

I wish I could, but the nature of my work will not permit it. Is there any other way you could help me?
Thanks, Tracee

How about just an example of one line of the contents, changing anything that might be sensitive?

Here is what I have:

Volume Label (when you read the contents)

Type: TOC
Data: rootvg homevg
Size: 671 mg
Packed: N
Buffer: 64 KBg
Blend: B
Volume: A1 (of 2 parallel)
Backer Volume: A1 (of 2 parallel)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Image VG Name LV
1 rootvg HD4
2 rootvg HD2
3 rootvg HD3
4 rootvg HDVAR

I wrote this down with my wicked handwriting...I hope it is accurate enough for you to understand. Where it says data (homevg) is listed...but it is not listed under the images, only rootvg....plus homevg alone is close to 2G

Thanks again for your help.
Tracee

Concerning the last part of your latest message, was the following all you viewed, or were there additional fields listed:

Image VG Name LV
1 rootvg HD4
2 rootvg HD2
3 rootvg HD3
4 rootvg HDVAR

For example, something like below:

Image VG Name LV #MB #Files Mount Point
1 rootvg HD4 32 1713 /
2 rootvg HD2 64 4814 /usr
3 rootvg HD3 0 7 /tmp
4 rootvg HDVAR 2 332 /var

Yes, I am sorry...there were listed as you said.
Will that make any difference?
Tracee

It may have made a difference if you'd told me that the additional information wasn't there. Have you checked the IBM support site? It may pay you to call IBM for assistance. Have you tried reinstalling Sysback and reconfiguring it? How about on another machine, is Sysback working normally?

When I backup other machines using the same procedure, I have no trouble restoring. It is just this particular machine that the files I backed up (or think I backed up) do not show up.

I may have to try IBM...I appreciate your help. Do you happen to have a link for IBM support?

Thanks alot.
Tracee

Check out one more thing before you contact IBM. On the last Sysback screen prior to kicking off a backup, check the "Non-rootvg Volume Groups to include" field. Ensure that "homevg" is listed. Below are several links that you may find useful.

Sounds to me like you have your homevg in the exclude list. It will still backup your meta data then.
Check whats in your /usr/lpp/sysback/.exclude_list

good luck

/home is in my /usr/lpp/sysback/.exclude_list.
What do I need to do to correct it?
Can I still recover the data on the tape since it backed up the metadata? If so, how?
Thanks!

Tracee

Very good suggestion pinkroccade. I've never excluded anything, but sounds like you're on the mark.

tracee,

smitty sysback
configuration options
Exclude Lists
Remove Entries from Exclude List
Logical Volume name to remove
Press F4 for list of exludes or just enter /home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back