Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching disks between servers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IainT

MIS
Nov 21, 2003
GB
I have two identical PE4600 servers, bought at the same time. One is in a live environment, one is used as our development box.

We are having constant memory problems with the live box, which Dell seem to be incapable of fixing. In the meantime, I'm thinking of swapping our development server with the live one. So my question is...

If we have the same disk setup in each (a RAID 1 pair & a RAID 5 set), and have all the firmware at the same levels, should I be able to just switch them off, swap the disks around, and bring them back up? I'm thinking this should work, but I don't want to knacker the RAID sets by doing something stupid!

Cheers,

Iain

In theory I think it should work, the only concern would be which takes precedence, the RAID card config or the copy stored on the disks. I can't actually remember (although I'm sure someone here will), I'd guess at disks taking precedence but if not then and you do a normal boot their RAID config info would get overwritten by the config on the development box RAID card.

I believe that when you have swapped the drives and restart the server the system will holler at you that there is a mismatch between the card configuration and the drives configuratio. You will have to go into the PERC software and tell it to use the configuration from the drives.

I believe that when you have swapped the drives and restart the server the system will holler at you that there is a mismatch between the card configuration and the drives configuration. You will have to go into the PERC software and tell it to use the configuration from the drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back