Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Support for M2250 Consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwedaGuy

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
CA
I was referred here from the CS1000 (Meridian) forum by a very helpful user.

We are a multi-site, multi-tenant Option 11C user. In approximately 18 months we are moving in to a new office we are constructing. Initially, I did not want to keep the Option 11, due to the age of the hardware and the fact that the Mini-Carrier Remotes are temperamental to operate.

However, I was pointed to e-Metrotel as a way of keeping our phones. I've been investigating, and it looks like you have a good product for our needs. Particularly, I like to seamless multi-site support over our own VPN. That said, there are a couple of issues.

The first is that I can't see giving up our 5 M2250s. In fact, in the new building we're planning for 7. Two of them have DSS-9000s attached. It basically breaks down to a couple of crucial features:
ICIs and​
Attendant Splitting, which requires:​
--Loop Keys​
--Release​
--Signal Source​
--Signal Destination​
--Release Source​
--Release Destination​
--Exclude Source​
--Exclude Destination​

Every call that comes in is answered by a live person, and these features are essential for effective operation. We also use the Barge-In and Busy Verify features, but they aren't as critical. Currently one of the consoles is used only for attendant admin and as a supervisory console. That's really convenient at some times, but not essential. Also, we use the Code Blue circuit on ICI 0. It would be very nice if we could put DSS-9000s on every console, on the Option 11 the customer limit is 2.

If it makes a difference, we are set up for 20 ICIs instead of 10.

The next question is about support for the Data Access Cards and the data modules in the phones. Are those supported? We've got 19 devices plugged in to DACs plus another 20+ data modules in phones. Any chance we will retain that functionality?

My hospital? Have I had an accident I don't know about?

Today would be a good day to chat, at least for the next couple of hours. I've got to be offsite after 3:00. My extension is 3317. Otherwise, I'm in by 10:00 tomorrow, and should be available all day.

No...no hospital. Though, we have had some as customers. My company is Fox Computer & Networking, Inc., in Waupun, WI. Send me an email to dlw at fox computer (no space, obviously) dot net. I found you on LinkedIn, but since I don't pay for their service I couldn't get access to your contact info. I thought there was a way to PM on this forum, but I must be spastic, because I can't find it.

Just out of curiosity, where were you calling?

I have to leave in about half an hour for an on-site, I expect to be back around four. BTW, I did while away my lunch hour browsing some of the phones on your website. I loved the QSU7 in the original box. I loved that whole series...

Oh, I thought when you talked about Code Blue, you were referring to Waupan Memorial Hospital.

Where do you use code blues?

Yes, the Nortel phones are so cool, especially those earlier wedge shaped models! They were quite advanced for 1975.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

OK...Code Blue...I only call it that because that's what Nortel called it. (Try reading that last sentence out loud, it just sounds silly)

Anyway, The Point-Of-Sale system uses the functionality. If an operator does a no-sale or emergency drawer open, it takes it's internal modem off hook, which is connected to an analog line card with the extension programmed as fully restricted. If a call comes in on that ICI, it triggers (through the relay) the CCTV system to start recording audio as well as video. The attendant can then conference in to that feed. At least that's how it's supposed to work. We've tweaked things a lot since that was first set up, but it hasn't been tested in a long time.

If I may,

The M2250 console is quite an interesting device, as you know. It uses two digital tn's for for audio and signaling, and an additional two tn's for power. In your opening comment you have listed some of the unique features that it uses to accomplish the task it was designed for, so I won't reiterate them here.

Customers that have migrated their CS1k to our UCx platform have replaced the M2250 device with a SIP phone. They will typically configure this SIP phone with a Key Expansion Module which provides additional keys for BLF, Call Park indications, etc..

To duplicate this functionality on the UCx would require a very significant development effort. We haven't had the customer demand that would justify redirecting R&D resources to this feature.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Hey EMT Support,

I've been able to replicate the features he is asking for through the Use of an 1140E and 1150E with KEMs, all except for one little thing that you may be able to provide feedback on.

Based on my experience on using one of these M2250 sets at the Union Club Hotel at Purdue, I am familiar with the features he is asking for.

First a call comes in and Person A answers the phone on Loop Keys or LINES on the 1140E/1150E-

person B (caller) asks for technical support Person C-

Person A presses transfer (SIGNALS DESTINATION) and calls technical support Person C and announces who is one the line (Source Caller B)-

Person C (Destination) is busy and says for Person B (Source) to call back later, so Person A returns to the caller Person B (Excludes Destination)

Person B has one more question so Person A needs to switch back to Person C (Destination) in Technical Support and ask another question (Excludes Source)

Person C (Destination) is finally done and says "why don't you transfer Person B (Source) over after all, so Person A then gets back to Caller B (Signals Source) and then says I'll transfer you over to Person C (Release) Both parties are then connected.

Dylan, is that how you'd describe the feature?

EMT Support, the only problem is that instead of keeping the destination on the Line throughout the Call process, you have to obtain dial tone to signal the destination each time.

I think what Dylan is looking for is a feature that allows you to keep both parties active in the 3 way conference without having to call back the third party constantly. Then when you are done with everyone, you press Release and the call is connected.

Also, when the M2250 console answers a call, you can simply press the live number pad and dial the extension requested and press RLS. You don't need to press Transfer first.

I believe I've seen this scenario all recreated on an 1140E CS1000 at the JW Marriott in Grand Rapids, MI. The hotel basically mimicked a M2250 exactly on the 1140E set with KEM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

One More thing EMT Support:

Could the features below, be added to the UCx Feature Package....that would solve the console issue.

ICIs and
Attendant Splitting, which requires:
--Loop Keys
--Release
--Signal Source
--Signal Destination
--Release Source
--Release Destination
--Exclude Source
--Exclude Destination

Thank you for chiming in on this one, emtsupport.

I realize that it will all come down to money. Where is your dollar amount that will make it feasible?

I'm intrigued by your product, I really am. NexMatrix has been trying to get us to take on their line, but I'm not excited about it, so my customers won't be either. eMetrotel seems to have a more intuitive interface, at least from the samples I've seen on your website. We've also looked at ESI, but they are heavily Windows integrated, and our company is not. Of course, we a Digium partners, not I'm not really the "roll your own" type of person in this kind of scenario.

Truthfully, I don't have any particular obsession with the M2250. Frankly, it's not especially attractive or well laid out. It does, however, offer ICIs, as well as other features specific to attendant positions. Ideally, I would like to develop my own IP console hardware, compatible with Asterisk, but there are only so many hours in the day.

That said, I'm also not willing to give up functionality we have. Mitel is currently the only company that offers a true hardware console for their system. For our purposes, that may have to be the route we take. I know we'll pay more money for it, but spending 40 grand (as an example) and getting the functionality I want is better than spending half the money to get half the functionality. I also know that if I take a solution now that doesn't have a real console, or at least something in development, I'm going to be disappointed down the road.

So, if you come to a point where you can attach a reasonable price tag to getting this done, let me know. Our new building won't be done until next summer, so we don't have to jump right now. The O11 is reliable enough for the time being.

swedaguy

you can use the console feature on the desktop for those

I assume you mean the PC attendant? We don't, as a general rule, use Windows PCs, so I'm not hot on the idea of installing them.

Thanks for your input, however. Advice is always appreciated!

Well, I must admit the WebRTC Client does get my attention. We have some really inexpensive Android based touchscreen terminals that run Chrome. We sell them for POS applications, but it looks like the WebRTC buttons are big enough that they would make a natural fit for a touchscreen application.

I've used this on my android LG device (phone with a touchscreen on 4GLTE network) with the Chrome Browser and it works nicely. I use it when i am away from my physical phone. I hot desk into my webclient when i'm mobile and then i hot desk back into my physical phone when i get back to the office.

The WebRTC client is going to be a "killer app" for the Retail market during Xmas. If you can load a tablet with the POS software, the WebRTC client, and a card swiper attachment, you have a mobile payment solution for linebusting. The line busting agents would need to be in constant contact with their co-workers on the floor to check stock, replenish inventory such as shopping bags, and can possibly take calls for the store when they're not "linebusting." No more walkie-talkies :)

I stand corrected. The client supports 120 buttons not 108.

Combining the features of the WebClient and the unique features available on our UCx server such as Shared Call Appearances and the Call Join feature we can pretty much emulate 90% of the functionality of the M1250/2250 Console.

Get a 24" Touch Screen device and a bluetooth headset!!!! No Cords. Very Futuristic

I'll dig in to that a bit more. We've had decent results from the touchscreen terminal, so I believe it's up to the challenge. I'd like to read a user's guide for the product.

Best thing I can suggest is to contact sales at E-MetroTel and they can setup a demonstration of this WebRTC technology for you. The number to call is 214.556.5917 dial x538 for sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back