Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for Line 2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stturner

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2005
US
First a little back history...

Before I started working here and also before we grew in employee size we had 2 blocks of DID numbers, the 5XXX and 7XXX range.

All our phones were programmed such that line 1 was 5XXX and line 2 was 3XXX (where XXX is the same number)

Now we need to free up the 3XXX to add another 1000 block of DID numbers.

I have experimented with making Key 0 and Key 1 both MCR 5XXX, but some users do not like this option because if they get a 2nd call when the phone is ringing it goes straight to voicemail.

Can I make the 2nd line a 5 digit ext using 85XXX and 87XXX?

Currenlty 8 is used for paging internally and no one would ever call the 85XXX ext directly.

Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears.

almost all my roll-ups are 5 digit, as well as, acd posIDs, and ACD queues. if you have pkg dnxp 150, yes, make non-did numbers 5 digits.

Mato' Was'aka

If 8 is used for paging you won't be able to build dns starting with 8 because there is another shorter number in the system. The idea is good you will probably have to select another leading digit. 25XXX

I agree with Nortel, we use 7 digit, utilizing an NXX that is not used in this area, ie 2995xxx in your case. It works very well, with very little overlap on useable DID ranges.

we use mcr keys

key 0 mcr 1000
key 1 mcr 1000
key 2 mcr 41000 (non did)

with lhk 2.. we had the same problem,, all 10K 434 numbers are did in this box and we are now going to 5 digit dn's because we are running out of numbers

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Here is what I like to do to conserve digits and allow more than 1 rollover.

DN 1745

KEY 00 SCR 1745
KEY 01 SCR 2217451
KEY 02 SCR 2217452
KEY 03 SCR 2217453
KEY 04 SCR 2217454

This way 22 are always my leading rollover digits.
the DN (1745 in this case) is always embedded in the number, so there is no question who the 'owner' is
Each user can have up to 9 rollovers and I never have to worry about DN conflicts

You can apply this to ACD-DN's, Agent ID's or any other non dialable number in the system.

--
Fletch

Nortel Emergency Services PLM

Check out this month's E911 Talk podcast at Nortel E911 Talk Podcast

Thanks for all the replies and information, it really is a big help getting different examples and ideas.

If we were to do the 5 or 7 digit roll over is there anything on the system that needs to be changed?

One of the first posts mentioned pkg dnxp 150, how can I determine look for that.

best answer to that comes from your switch,, add a 5 digit dn to a phone.. we use mcr as opposed to scr because of the way speech paths are used. and i perfer users to transfer. i refuse to build a dept to look like a key system.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks again, I am testing 2995XXX on a few phones and so far it seems to be working as expected.

One last question. Is there a way with command line or OTM to change the label from 2995XXX to Line 2 or would I have to do that on every phone? I am using M3903 and 1120E IP phones.

That request has been in for a few years now, but the answer is you have to change it from the phone interface.

--
Fletch

Avaya E9-1-1 Product Manager

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

I have been testing using a 7 digit number for line 2.
Key 0 = 1234
Key 1 = 2991234

So far the people using it have not had any complaints and it works great.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help.

Good for you! As your career progeresses you will look back on today and say to yourself over and over, "Thank goodness I went with 7 digit rollover numbers!"

--
Fletch
Avaya E9-1-1 Product Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back