Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subform used with multiple forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

timekeepr9

Programmer
Jan 2, 2005
US
Hi, I am working on a form for a database for a school. Basically, I have one form for each classroom. On each of those forms is a subform, which is the same for all of the classrooms. I want to be able to show some information on the subform based on the student selected in the outer form.

I can make it work for one of the classrooms, but I can't find a way to do it for all of the classes with the same subform. Does anyone know a way to do this?

Thanks.

How are ya timekeepr9 . . . . .

You shouldn't need a form for each [blue]ClassRoom![/blue]. At any rate there's too much to go over as far as tables, relationships & all.

At you leisure, have a look at the following:

Normalizing Tables

Table Relationships

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

I know I shouldn't need a form for each classroom, I didn't set up that part, but that is how it is setup. I think they were worried about concurrency issues since staff from each of the classrooms would be entering information in at the end of each day at about the same time. Would concurrency be an issue if I just made it one form, with a combobox for classroom or whatever?

Thanks for your help! I'll take a look at those pages too.

timekeepr9 said:
[blue]Would concurrency be an issue if I just made it one form, with a combobox for classroom or whatever?[/blue]
No . . . it should'nt since [blue]each class will be looking at a different recordset[/blue].

Is this on a network?

Post typical info for a class (mainform) & subform. Well see if we can get ya thru this a little faster.

Do read the links though . . . . alot of things will make more sense!

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Well basically what I have is a table with all of the student information (first name, last name, classroom, etc) and then how they had it set up was a query for each classroom, taking information from the student info table based on the teacher.

Two other tables, an incident report table and a point sheet table. Each of these will have entries with a reference to the student, plus some other information the staff will type in. The foreign key in these two tables is linked to the primary key of the student information table. So I believe this would be a one to many relationship..

Unfortunatly all of my database experience has been using asp with sql server, so I'm struggling to get access to do what I want.

I have a form where you select a student from a combo box. I am currently attempting to change it to where you first select a class, and then select a student from that class so I don't need a form per class.

On the form are 2 subforms, one for the point sheet table and one for the incident report table. Currently, the subforms have all of the records relating to the student who is selected in the outer form, and you can add more entries at the end of the subform.

Ideally, for the incident report subform I'd like to click a button, it brings up a window where someone can enter in the information, and then click ok and it adds a new entry. Right now, all of the old entries are there too, and I'm afraid it is a little bit comfusing to have to get to a new record to add info. (A lot of the people who will be using this database will have 0 computer experience)

Eventually I also want a form that displays selected entries in the to subform tables.

This will be sitting on a network.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back