Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subform Unbound textbox doesn't accept input

Status
Not open for further replies.

moremind

Programmer
Mar 2, 2005
US

I have added an unbound textbox to a subform that displays line items on an order but it won't accept input (freeform typing 'abc' into it). It doesn't display any errors.

I reviewed the subform properties and didn't recognize anything that looked like it would prevent input but I am new (New) to access. The other fields on the subform lines are bound to a database table and set to locked because I don't want them to ever be changed.. i.e. read-only.

does the length of the textbox need to be defined some place? data entry property set to yes? hope someone knows what's missing.

Thanks

Hi
The length of a textbox does not need to be defined, although it can be. Did you set the locked property for the other text boxes or did you use some other way of making them read only?
Are you aware that an unbound text box on a continuous form will display the same data for each line of the form? For example, if I have ten lines, and enter 'abc' in the unbound text box on line one, I will get ten lines of 'abc'. [ponder]

Thanks Remou. I didn't know that and appreciate the info.

I did use the locked property on the other textboxes but I'm not sure they were accepting input before I did that. I might have turned on some other property but not remember what it was... bad.

Thank you so much for saying that each line will repeat the same data. That is not what I want. How can I add a textbox that I can update & highlight in red based on the content of another textbox on the same line?

getting closer... i think. :)
thx

Hi
I think the best bet might be to relate your read only database to another table with fields that can be updated. (How exactly you do this depends on how many changes you wish to make and the size of your read only table.) Unless it's a case of "if I click this button, do something to/with/from my read only table", in which case Single Form, rather than Datasheet, or Continuous Form might suit.

???

You can use the wizard to add a subsubform with just the text box in it. If its linked to another table you will have to include the linked field but turn its display property off.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back