Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subform/Query Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd06498

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
AU
In the database I am trying to put together, I have a series of records containing information on accountable records.
I am trying to create, from these, a form showing the handing over of these records to another person. This form, as well as containing details about who is handing over the records and who is receiving them, and the date it occurs, also contains a subform which I want to list all unused and in-use records at that time. Additionally, when a new handover date is entered, I want the sub-form to list all the current unused and in-use records so the user can record where the 'in-use' records are up to.
I am having trouble doing this and am seeking some guidance.
Appreciate any help or hints.

One idea would be to set the form up in tabular view (can do very easily through form wizard). Then, after set up, you can create combo boxes at the bottom or top of form in the header/footer sections for searching for a particular record by telling the combo box wizard to look up the values from the current form... I've used this on a form and it works great - just an idea that might get you started in the right direction?? I'm assuming you can use this for a subform or main form, either way.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Thanks Stephen

I have a Form that I enter the date and details of people handing over and receiving. Then, I go to another form that lets me progress through the dates and shows the subform records relevant for that date. I want the subform to show all the current unused and in-use records when a new date is added. Later, I want the subform to identify those records that are in-use and the user MUST add some information against each 'in-use' record before the form can close.

It is pretty complicated to explain.

I totally understand (make sense in the old think-tank, but complicated to make Access understand). Have you tried searching around in some posts here?

Stephen [infinity]

Yeah, but difficult to find anything that might help because I am not entirely sure what I need to do. Quite new at this, although have been palying around with my current DB for several months and am getting frustrated...

I know the feeling - keep searching, and posting more info, and eventually someone here will likely find the key to fix your problem. I've found answers to things I thought were unanswerable here. [SMILE]

If I get more time this week, I'll look at it more, but one of the experts will likely be able to shed more light.. such as PHV, AceMan1, RoyVidar, etc..

Stephen [infinity]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back