Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subform child/master link vs. a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrscott

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
US
Hi All,

First off I'm learning Access as I go, so apologies if I mis-state the obvious.

I created a form that contains a subform. I dbl-click an item in a list box and display a new record on the main and sub form. The main form source table and the sub form source table have a one-to-many relationship.

Before I discovered how to use the child\master link properties I was setting the subform's record source with VBA and it was working well. Now, using the link properties, if there is no record available from the subform table, changing records via my list box gives me a blank main form with no controls. Previously I would see my form, sub form and all the controls and my sub form controls would just be empty. I can go back to the way it was, but I would like to understand how the two methods vary and if there is a better way.

Thanks!!!!

Scott

Any thoughts anyone, now that the holidays are over? :)

Hi Scott,

I have never seen this problem before but in your position, I think I would create a simple model to test the connections. Make a new subform with the data. Then make a new main form with it’s data, insert the sub on the main, link it up and see if that works properly. It should only take a few minutes with the wizards and the result will likely lead to a quick resolution.

HTH,

al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back